Official Review: Unexpected: A Tale of Deception

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Unexpected: A Tale of Deception

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unexpected: A Tale of Deception" by Peter Alpert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unexpected: A Tale of Deception by Peter Alpert is a fictional legal thriller about the ramifications of a local farmer’s truck rollover accident on a damaged country road in rural Colorado. After middle-aged George Schmidt suffers severe injuries, the county might be at fault for not posting a warning sign or previously fixing a road that was in disrepair for a long time. The lawyer he hires suspects local officials of a cover-up to limit their liability. An investigation ensues and there is more than meets the eye, especially when an insurance carrier may be pulling the strings behind the scenes.

The case is given top billing in this tale and it’s certainly an interesting one. The government’s dastardly deeds after the accident are somewhat obvious right from the start, and George is a sympathetic victim every step of the way. His lawyer, Allen Henshaw, is an experienced straight shooter and vows to see justice served. A few of the road commission workers are honorable people, but many of the bad guys are written as slimy, one-note stereotypes.

George’s character is vividly described as a middle-aged, never married farmer whose social life consists of going to church every Sunday and driving into town to have coffee with other farmers. The impact of the accident on his physical and mental state is realistically written and I was very moved by these scenes. I could picture the rural setting of Eagleton with its hardworking, neighborly townspeople and the main gathering place for coffee, where everyone knows everyone else and news travels fast.

The story is told in the first person through the perspective of George’s lawyer. I found this an effective way for the plot to unfold as Allan coordinates an investigation into the county’s shady attempts to limit their liability. Each aspect of the inquiry carries its own set of interesting details. The author is adept at giving just the right amount of information to keep the story moving forward without going off track. I felt like each chapter was a puzzle piece that fit well within the overall storyline. Although the main focus is the investigation, George’s recovery and long-term medical issues are featured periodically and I was given a clear picture of the “face behind the case.”

The writing style is a bit bland and could have used a subtle touch. The author has a habit of telling, rather than showing, the reader points that are obvious, such as the meaning of a person’s comments or demeanor. Still, the plot moves along at a consistent pace and I became completely absorbed in the story.

Although the book is well written, there are two noticeable errors in the story. One is relatively minor, stating the wrong name for the county - Clark County instead of Marlboro County. The other is a major error that is repeated a few times over several pages – referencing an incorrect amount for the defense’s initial settlement offer. The amount is first stated as $150,000; at a later point, the beginning offer is repeatedly referred to as $125,000. This is particularly confusing and distracting since the next offer is less than $150,000 yet is treated like an increase from the initial figure.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s an engrossing page turner with interesting characters. Fans of legal thrillers and one man vs. the government-themed stories will find much to savor here. This is one tale I won’t soon forget.

Unexpected: A Tale of Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review as always. I have read another of his books ("The Vanishing Chemist") and liked it. I am not sure I will read this one, but I am glad you enjoyed it, errors and all.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! I like when author's can make their characters realistic, especially after experiencing something traumatic. Sorry about the bland writing, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, regardless. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:Great review as always. I have read another of his books ("The Vanishing Chemist") and liked it. I am not sure I will read this one, but I am glad you enjoyed it, errors and all.
Thanks! I thought the author's name sounded familiar. :) It's a shame about the two content errors because the book was free of grammatical errors.

-- 04 Dec 2016, 23:24 --
hsimone wrote:Another great review, bookowlie! I like when author's can make their characters realistic, especially after experiencing something traumatic. Sorry about the bland writing, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, regardless. :)
Thanks Hsimone! The funny thing was the bland writing seem to fit the story since the story took place in a town where not much happened. Also, the dry writing made me focus on the evidence in the case.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Another great review, bookowlie! I like when author's can make their characters realistic, especially after experiencing something traumatic. Sorry about the bland writing, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, regardless. :)
Thanks Hsimone! The funny thing was the bland writing seem to fit the story since the story took place in a town where not much happened. Also, the dry writing made me focus on the evidence in the case.
That's a good way to look at it. It actually was very creative on the author's part to write in such a way that would help the reader focus on the certain parts of the story. I'm glad it worked here!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Oops...I meant to type seems to fit, not seem to fit. Hanging my head in grammar shame.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. It reminds me a little of John Grisham's novels :) Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great read. It reminds me a little of John Grisham's novels :) Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review :)
Thanks! I agree that the story is a little like the plot of a John Grisham novel. Good point!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! I live in a small town and can relate to the speed of gossip. Lol I am glad you enjoyed the book.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kdonegan! The setting of the small town was a real highlight of the story. Even the judge in the trial knew everyone.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

A great review. The setting and the plot is wonderful. The story is so well told. You can feel the love and pain of the characters.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Tommie H Odom wrote:A great review. The setting and the plot is wonderful. The story is so well told. You can feel the love and pain of the characters.
Thanks for the nice feedback. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading future books by this author.
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

I read the sample and it was quite good, Thanks to the reviewer for such a great descriptive illustration of this book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Cheeky! I also enjoyed the sample when I was deciding which review book to pick at the time. The interesting sample is what made me choose this book.
JOSEPH KATERE
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by JOSEPH KATERE »

Just a good tell story sometimes in life you have to be you.just be you and live you

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”