Official Review: My Trip to Adele

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: My Trip to Adele

Post by ChillAndRead »

Thanks klbradley for the review!
Let me share here, if I may, my thoughts about this book that I just recently read:

Adele, the singer, is performing in Verona, Italy, after many years. This fact alone is what actually connects three different people from three different places in the world.

There is a young man in love, Elias.Elias is from Morocco, but is living in Rome for many years now. In a trip he took some eight years ago, he meets a girl, Malika, and falls in love with her. In today’s time, he finds out that black magic has done its part to separate the two of them therefore he decides to go back to the enchanting streets of Marrakesh to look for the love of his life and undo the wrong.

Then there is Nadia. Nadia is a single mother, living with her son in Amman, Jordan. The two of them have each other and Nadia is happy about that, even though she is struggling to maintain that for the past few years. She is having a terrible court fight with her ex-husband but she is not giving up.

And last, there is Yasher, who is a successful surgeon, husband to Mariam and father of two in Las Vegas, USA. Yasher is suffocating in his marriage to a very faithful and godly wife. Even though faith is what had originally brought them together, Yasher has come to reject that faith indirectly, rejecting his marriage instead.

The book describes different aspects of life, through the different heroes. We see the unconsummated love that has stuck to a moment in time, when all was steel and all was different. Would love be the same as we remember it after all so many years, or is there a possibility that people, things, circumstances evolve as time goes by? In the book we also see the life in Jordan and how different it is from the life in western world. In Jordan, the man, the husband can do pretty much what he likes, and can decide upon the lives of his family member. Being divorced and single mother is not the most common thing over there, so the struggle our heroine is going through is huge. For those not familiar with the customs it is educating, for those that are, could just ring a bell or work as a reminder and encouragement. The book also works on the married life of a couple and how things can become just a tiring everyday routine that consumes the couple and the love there was. Would that be possible to return?

A nice touch that the two writers have added to the book, is the fact that each chapter is a song. The chapter’s title is actually one of Adele’s songs. They also manage to include some lyrics of that specific song to the chapter itself. After all, Adele’s songs are poetry!
anushreevaishnav18
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Regifted
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by anushreevaishnav18 »

I love this book. I like Elias 's story. Thank you for review
ChillAndRead

Post by ChillAndRead »

More followers I see!!
Sal Mahmoud
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sal Mahmoud »

Excellent review! The book sounds magnificent!
ChillAndRead

Post by ChillAndRead »

Well, thanks!
Theophila
Currently Reading: Lemoncella Cocktail
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theophila.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Theophila »

Nice review, just finished reading the book and I can totally relate, especially to Nadia's strength.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Fantastic review! I agree with many of your points. Please do check
my review of the book and let me know your comments there. Thank you! :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41610
Margzipan
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margzipan.html

Post by Margzipan »

Hi! Thank you for your review! I just finished reading My Trip to Adele myself and didn't feel a particular connection to any of the characters. I agree with you that Nadia is a strong woman and obviously loves her son, but I honestly don't think she changed much over the course of the novel. A character's progress is always one of the most interesting parts of a book for me, so I was wondering whether you have any thoughts on Nadia's progress. Do you think she changed or learned anything, or do you think she remained a static character?

Thank you!
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Wow! awesome review, I can't wait to read the book; -)
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Eric Mbungu Nyaga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric Mbungu Nyaga »

This is a story of three different culture, three different couples,with three endings. They all are connected through their love of Adele and their desire to attend her concert in Vernon. But will they all make it to Vernon or not? That's an interesting question only the answer is not quite so simple. Although all three set of people are different from each other but one thing is common, they are all unsatisfied with life, searching fro answers, and trying to make the best of what they are given. It's not quite a happily-ever-after kind of story but it does provide a sense of an end to their journey. And
also a beginning, both at the same time. I liked all three stories, which are written side by side. Elias' is a story of lost love, he is looking for someone he is unable to forget even after years have passed. His search will take him to Marrakesh and then back to Rome. He might never find Malika but he will definitely find some answers to many questions that have been nagging him Nadia is a single mother whose ex-husband can't seem to understand what's important for their son. Her struggle is portrayed in a very emotional way which will keep readers on the edge.
And third story is about a married couple from LA. It's a story about a struggle which couples face when they no longer love each other. It is difficult for them to decide whether to stay together or leave each other for good. One last try to salvage their
love comes in the form of a trip to Adele's concert. It's an interesting story with Adele's songs at the heart of it. I confess that I'm not familiar with these songs but then I never had any interest in music. Even without any love for Adele I was still able to enjoy reading this book so I can't imagine what a treat it can be for her fans. ;)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Sounds like a very unique plot. The quotes from different singles of Adele’s fitting perfectly with each situation seems wonderful. I can't wait to start reading it. Thanks for the great review.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I love Adele's music, so this certainly seems like an interesting way of facing those lyrics in a different setting.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Sounds like a really good book, though not something I might normally read. Congrats on this one!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Elic
Currently Reading: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Elic »

Great adventurous book! Very dramatic and feelingful for the characters. A book that could relate to anyone. 5 out of 5
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Nice review. I read the book and found it interesting, although I felt the ending between Elias and Malika fell flat. The other characters I found totally believable in what they were going through in their life.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”