Official Review: Hawk's Flight by Ronald E. Holtman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hawk's Flight by Ronald E. Holtman

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hawk's Flight" by Ronald E. Holtman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hawk’s Flight by Ronald E. Holtman tells the story of George and Hawk, two unlikely friends brought together by tragic circumstances. George, a Vietnam veteran recently returned form the war, hopes to reconnect with a close comrade, Horse, whom he saw injured in the line of duty. Unfortunately, George learns Horse has succumbed to the psychological traumas of war. In his quest to find Horse, George meets Hawk, Horse’s teenage brother. Hawk is a young Cherokee with a less than ideal home life who turns to George for help coming to terms with his brother’s fate.

Overall, Hawk’s Flight has many elements of a potentially great novel. There are many opportunities for plot development related to conflicting cultural beliefs, abusive parentage, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). While all of these topics are touched upon, few are fully developed or useful in advancing the plot. For example, George suffers from signs of PTSD in the form of nightmares about his experiences in Vietnam. George tells his friends about these dreams; however, the dreams never effect the character’s demeanor, actions, or any part of the overall narrative.

The aspect of Hawk’s Flight I liked least was that all conflicts are easily resolved. For example, George, a recently returned vet with no job, seeks to obtain legal guardianship over Hawk. After obtaining a lawyer, George is easily granted guardianship with no objection from Hawk’s alcoholic father or any other members of the tribe. I found it hard to believe that both the father and the tribe would have no objection to Hawk leaving the reservation and separating from his culture to live with a white man. This type of tranquil resolution happens all too often throughout the book making the story predictable and banal.

Hawk’s Flight is well written with few errors, however, the writing lacks personality and authenticity. The first half of the book focuses mostly on George’s perspective while the second half is primarily that of Hawk’s. Unfortunately, the writing lacked any distinctive qualities making both characters one dimensional and difficult to relate to. Although Hawk is a young teenager, and George an adult, their thoughts and speech were indistinguishable from one another. There are a plethora of secondary characters in the novel that seem to have more personality than either of the two main characters. Additionally, the writing lacks creativity and intrigue as it is straightforward with spoon-fed details; the reader has no satisfaction in drawing their own conclusions. These factors make it seem as though the book is written at a juvenile level, however, the content tends towards a more mature audience.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. If the main characters had been more authentic and the conflict throughout the novel had been substantive, I would have rated this book 3 stars. Although I disliked aspects of Hawk’s Flight, I enjoyed the overall plot and think a young adult audience may be more inclined toward this book.

Hawk's Flight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Thanks for the review! Too bad that the book did not hold your interest better. Nice, thorough job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

rssllue wrote:Thanks for the review! Too bad that the book did not hold your interest better. Nice, thorough job on the review!
Thank you for taking the time to read my review! :)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are quite welcome! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Too bad the book lacked character and plot development because it seems like it could have some potential. Thank you for such an honest and professional review.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Kdonegan91 wrote:Too bad the book lacked character and plot development because it seems like it could have some potential. Thank you for such an honest and professional review.

Thank you :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising. Too bad the total execution is not as good as it should be especially characterization. Great job on the review.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising. Too bad the total execution is not as good as it should be especially characterization. Great job on the review.
Thank you! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”