Official Review: Bloody Gullets by Michael Golvach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Bloody Gullets by Michael Golvach

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloody Gullets" by Michael Golvach.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the name suggests, Bloody Gullets, is not for the faint of heart. Author Michael Golvach has created a collection of 18 short stories, mostly psychological thrillers, almost all of which include a little blood and gore. Each of the 18 stories focus on different subjects and different characters, but almost all stories explore different aspects of the human psyche. Themes touched upon in Golvach’s stories include dark humor, loathsome characters, unreliable narrators, questioning of reality, and the blurred lines of right and wrong.

My favorite part about this collection was that each story was disturbingly thought provoking. Even the shortest stories, some of which are only a few pages, made me question the definitions of sanity, reality, and power, to name a few. For instance, one very short story, “Object Lesson”, asks the reader to question the true definition of a role model by introducing a contemptible narrator, who through acts of violence becomes an unlikely role model. Another of my favorite stories, “Believer”, explores the concept of mind control and the possible power one can have over an abuser. These stories, along with many others, made Bloody Gullets an intriguing and enjoyable read.

I appreciated that the author’s prose was engaging and clearly demonstrated a strong command of language by creating beauty while describing unsavory subjects. Additionally, though many of the stories deal with murder and illegal acts, the author portrays each story in a way that makes you question who the bad guys really are. I also commend the author for putting a new spin on plot devices we’ve read before. For example, the story “Small Deaths” follows a man that wakes up everyday with little to no memory of who he is, relying solely on the scribbles on a bookmark to get him through the day. Although, this may sound familiar, by creating a character driven story, Golvach paints a picture that is not only different but also humorous and poignant.

My only criticism of Bloody Gullets was that the narrators in some stories were a bit repetitive and therefore, were not memorable. Although we never met the same character in any of the 18 stories, a few times I felt as though I was reading from the same point of view. While this is not entirely a bad thing, the repetitiveness took away from the element of surprise as I felt I already understood the character and could foresee the decisions that would be made.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite my small criticism, all 18 stories in this collection are well written, provocative reads, many of which I will read again. Fans of horror, thrillers, and thought provoking writing will find the stories in Bloody Gullets enticing and engrossing. I caution readers that there are scenes of violence and gore throughout many of the stories and for that reason this book may not be the right fit for all.

Bloody Gullets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds like a fascinating read! I love stories that make me think about who the bad guys really are. A great review.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

Guppy wrote:Sounds like a fascinating read! I love stories that make me think about who the bad guys really are. A great review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your insightful review! I was wondering about this book, and had considered it at one point. I'm glad that you enjoyed it even if the characters in each story wasn't very memorable.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for your insightful review! I was wondering about this book, and had considered it at one point. I'm glad that you enjoyed it even if the characters in each story wasn't very memorable.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review! I definitely think some of the stories are worth a read :)
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! After reading your review, I am more than intrigued. Thank you for such an honest and interesting review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Kdonegan91 wrote:Great review! After reading your review, I am more than intrigued. Thank you for such an honest and interesting review!
Thank you for taking the time to read my review! Glad you enjoyed it :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! I like your description of the stories as "disturbingly thought-provoking." I am not a fan of blood and gore in books, but I am glad you enjoyed the stories.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review! I like your description of the stories as "disturbingly thought-provoking." I am not a fan of blood and gore in books, but I am glad you enjoyed the stories.

Thank you for the feedback and for taking the time to read my review! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”