Official Review: Michael and the Ice Princess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Michael and the Ice Princess

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Michael and the Ice Princess" by Mary Mendenhall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael and the Ice Princess by Mary Mendenhall is a historical fantasy novel set in medieval times.

After a King is cursed by a woman in the market, his whole life turns upside-down. He entrusts his baby girl to the care of his loyal advisor, desiring her to be hidden away until the curse has been broken. Unfortunately, the child is hidden a little too well and her whereabouts are lost to her father.

Miriam has no idea that she is a lost princess. All she knows is that she doesn't seem to belong anywhere. The townspeople think she is strange and whisper behind her back about her being a changeling. No one, not even her foster parents, can figure out why her hands and feet are always as cold as ice. With a plague sweeping across the country, so too come accusations against Miriam. Is she cursed? Is she a witch? Only those who get to know her seem to think otherwise.

I was a little hesitant to read this book because the description calls it a mystic romance. I do not like books about mysticism, and with romance novels being what they are today, I generally steer clear of them. However, this book is not like either of those things. I did not initially understand what genre this book is which made me nearly pass up the opportunity to read it. The deciding factor for me was that the author compares her book to George MacDonald's writings. He is an author I love, so that immediately got my attention. Michael and the Ice Princess does well to live up to the comparison. It is easy to see the similarity the authors have in the way they write. I thoroughly enjoyed the classic feel that this book has.

While this is not an action-packed or fast-paced book, I certainly do not consider it to be slow or boring in any way. There are enough events to keep the story moving at a reasonable pace without losing the charm of the writing style. Some stories are all about the destination and others are about the journey. This one is a little bit of both. The journey and destination are equally valued.

There is a strong Christian/Catholic theme to the story. The author handles this aspect well. It seems very fitting for the time period. I also love that the characters are free to be themselves and believe differently from one another. It gives them depth and makes them more realistic.

I have to say, the relationship between Michael and Miriam is a little weak. There does not seem to be very much reason for them to fall in love. Thankfully, it is not a case of insta-love or shallow, appearance-based love. In fact, I did enjoy their relationship. I just wanted more interaction between them. I was disappointed that it took more than half the book for them to meet. Michael is my favorite character and for a large chunk of the book, he is in the background. I would have liked for him to be more important to the story since his name is on the cover.

Overall, I think this is a wonderful story about love, faith, and finding yourself which is why I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars. It is a clean book that is suitable for all ages, though I think teens and adults would appreciate it the most. I especially recommend it to people who are fond of Christian classics.

Michael and the Ice Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! After seeing the title and cover, I was not intrigued. However, your review has changed my mind. According to your insightful review, this book is not anything like I thought it was going to be. I plan to read it soon.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Thanks for the great review! I agree with you that the blurb and cover/genre selection did not really pique my interest, however, I'm glad I read your review as now I really want to give this book a read! Thanks for the honest review! :D
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I'm so happy that I was able to help! You really can't "judge a book by its cover" or even description sometimes!
MaryMend60
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MaryMend60 »

I'm guessing that if you were to read it again, you would catch more 'between the lines'. mM
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

MaryMend60 wrote:I'm guessing that if you were to read it again, you would catch more 'between the lines'. mM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds very interesting. Just like you, I would expect more from Michael :) I like that it has Christian theme and I think this is something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Mary Mendenhall on such a high rating.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Hope you get a chance to check it out!
Flowergirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flowergirl »

"After a King is cursed by a woman in the market, his whole life turns upside-down. He entrusts his baby girl to the care of his loyal advisor, desiring her to be hidden away until the curse has been broken. Unfortunately, the child is hidden a little too well and her whereabouts are lost to her father.

Miriam has no idea that she is a lost princess. All she knows is that she doesn't seem to belong anywhere. The townspeople think she is strange and whisper behind her back about her being a changeling."

When I started to read your review I immediately thought "beauty and the beast" because he was cursed and his life was turned upside down. Then I thought "Sleeping Beauty" when you mentioned Miriam was entrusted to other's care. Then "tangled", her not knowing she is the lost princess. Then back to "beauty and the Beast" , I love all those movies (I own them all)…..anyway this is a book I would love to read and see where it takes me.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

That's so funny. I can see the connection. Hope you like the book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”