Flowers for Algernon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumorgirl101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Flowers for Algernon

Post by rumorgirl101 »

Narrated through a series of first-hand progress reports, Flowers for Algernon traces the mental and emotional development of Charlie Gordon, a retarded young man who becomes the first human test-subject for an ambitious brain experiment. Author Daniel Keyes stylistically portrays Charlie's startling progress and eventual decline through the ever-changing sentence structure, spelling, and vocabulary of Charlie's journal entries.

Charlie begins his report on March third, expressing hope that Dr. Strauss and Professor Nemur will choose him for an operation capable of raising his IQ to that of an intellectual superman. Miss Kinnian, Charlie's reading teacher at the Beekman College Center for Retarded Adults, recommended him for the experimental surgery. Charlie is good-natured and hard-working, and he wants more than anything "to be smart."

Impressed by Charlie's motivation, Dr. Strauss and Professor Nemur decide to use Charlie in the experiment. At the laboratory, Charlie undergoes inkblot personality tests administered by graduate student Burt Selden. He also runs mazes against Algernon, a super-smart white mouse. Algernon is the first animal to have retained his artificially increased intelligence through Nemur and Strauss' experiment. After surgery, the doctors give Charlie a strange teaching machine. The odd television set repeats words throughout the night, implanting knowledge and stimulating memories as Charlie sleeps.

Progress is very slow at first, but soon Charlie beats Algernon at the mazes and gets a promotion at Donner's Bakery, where he works. He also learns spelling and punctuation, becomes interested in philosophy, politics, and the symphony. Soon he moves on to advanced calculus and ancient languages. Charlie reads and comprehends everything he lays his hands on; he has become a genius. This intellectual boom is not completely positive, however. With his new awareness comes the realization that many of his so-called friends have mocked him all his life. Vivid memories of childhood abuse remind Charlie that even his own mother was ashamed of him.

Charlie falls in love
with Alice Kinnian, his old reading teacher, but he panics whenever he contemplates intimacy. During therapy, Dr. Strauss explains that Charlie is sexually immature and not yet ready for a relationship. Lonely and depressed by vivid dreams and painful memories of his family, Charlie stops trusting people. He becomes an arrogant "big-shot." Though a genius, Dr. Strauss believes that Charlie remains emotionally retarded. Charlie's breaking point comes at the International Psychological Convention in Chicago when Professor Nemur treats Charlie like an inanimate test subject. The angered genius disrupts the convention, steals Algernon from his cage and flies back to New York alone.

At the peak of his intellectual powers, Charlie realizes that there is a flaw in Nemur's experimental calculations. In a report entitled The Algernon-Gordon Effect: A Study of Structure and Function of Increased Intelligence, Charlie explains that "Artificially-induced intelligence deteriorates at a rate of time directly proportional to the quantity of the increase." Algernon becomes erratic and dies. Devastated, Charlie realizes that his own mental deterioration is inevitable. With his remaining time, Charlie visits his family and has a tender love affair with Alice. Tragically, Charlie's regression proves nearly complete. Unable to bear everyone's pity, Charlie plans to go away to the Warren State Home and Training School.

This is a very good book. :)
ebookman568

Post by ebookman568 »

yes! that was a very emotional book and one to think about. enjoyed it very much.
vamp666

Post by vamp666 »

I'm going to have to agree with you two. I loved the book and evey chapter makes you think of people, the world, and the way we act a different way. It makes you think about yourself as a person and makes you wonder what people would do if they were pushed into a corner. Would they give up or fight- no matter the cost?
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

Hmm, this sounds like something I'd really enjoy. It's now on my future reading list, thanks! :D
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
ShipOfFools

Post by ShipOfFools »

I am reading this. About a little over halfway through it, and have some thoughts:

It's interesting and thought provoking how the scientists are treating Charlie as just an experiment, yet he wants to be recognized as a human being. That makes me think about how we treat others who are "different", regardless of religion, color, or sexual identity, as not normal. That brings in the idea that human beings are generally judgmental of each other. Even Charlie is judgmental of the people who have lower IQ's than him, disregarding their opinions as invalid.

Also, I wonder if this was intentional, or not. But the sister who was of normal intelligence was named "Norma." I wonder if that was intentional, or kind of an unintentional mistake. Either way, it's quite coincidental.

I will review more of this book when I finish it. Either way, I'm really enjoying it.
Kdor11

Post by Kdor11 »

I am not a fan of this book at all. It may have something to do with it being a dissected book when I was in grade 9. Out of all the books that we were 'forced' to read in school, I really disliked this one (just my opinion).
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Seen this one in the theater, quite an amazing story.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I read the short version in one of the old sci-fi magazines but never did read the longer version. Saw the movie, it was great.
Himansu

Post by Himansu »

I realy enjoy to read this post, Thanks
Njanosik

Post by Njanosik »

I liked it very much! It made me think about things like"What is intelligence?" What are friends?" I thought that the characters were very 2-
dimensional in that they all had good parts and flaws. I am looking forward to renting the movie.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Flowers for Algernon is the book of the month for August 2011. If you have read it, please join the discussion in the book of the month forum.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”