Official Review: The Unannounced Christmas Visitor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Official Review: The Unannounced Christmas Visitor

Post by Silvermoon »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unannounced Christmas Visitor" by Patrick Higgins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unannounced Christmas Visitor is a novel from the Christian genre by Patrick Higgins. It is about a Christian family, who are unhappy and on the brink of change. John Jensen is going through a crisis. His lack of love and interest is hurting his family. His wife, Lydia has been praying to God and asking for his help and intervention. One Sunday, close to Christmas, a stranger enters their church and the Jensen's lives. His disreputable appearance offends the members of the congregation. All of them snub him, except for Lydia. After his second visit to the church, Lydia seeks him out and introduces herself. His name is Enoch, and he has no home. He is an elderly man living in the park, and his physical needs touch her soul deeply. She is so affected by his joy despite his deprivation, she takes him a lunch. Then she begins ministering to the other needy people that are living in the park with him. Lydia's two children willingly begin helping her. They cheerfully help make and serve sandwiches to the hungry and homeless. John, whose unpleasant attitude has diminished his job performance, has received a major pay cut. He is in jeopardy of losing his job completely. With his source of income compromised, he isn't too pleased with his wife's use of the little money they have. Nor does he feel that it is safe for his children to spend time with homeless people. However, after he meets Enoch and spends time with him, he begins to look at his life in a different light.

I loved the unconditional love that Lydia and her children showed to those who were more unfortunate than they were. They were selfless with their hearts as well as their belongings. They held nothing back, not even the things that they held dearest. The church hadn't tainted them, their hearts were pure and full of love. The light came from within them.

The fact that the rest of the members of the church were only concerned with the outward appearance was overwhelmingly realistic. The wealthy members ran the church and made the decisions. The congregation held them in high esteem, and because of their affluence followed their leadership, like sheep. On the other hand, I found it very unrealistic that the homeless people accepted help, without any kind of negative attitude. People living in those circumstances are in self-preservation mode. They do not trust anybody and would regard an abundance of kindness and gifts with suspicion. It possibly could happen if there were an angel in their midst, but otherwise, it doesn't seem likely. Realistically, in the future, I don't see the family receiving the same acceptance and results from neither the congregation nor the homeless.

Patrick Higgins has written several fiction and nonfiction books because of his concern for the lost. He writes his books in the hopes of helping others. He feels that they need to understand their mortality and be saved from an eternity in hell. His desire is that everyone should hear his personal message that a single decision will keep their immortal souls from peril.

This is a book entirely based on scriptures from the Bible. It is mostly made up of a group of mini-sermons written into story form. It seems its purpose is geared toward helping and scaring the characters and readers into changing their lives and serve Yahweh. This book is suitable for those who are Christians and enjoy a clean, fiction Bible-based story and are looking for an inspirational read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Unannounced Christmas Visitor
View: on Bookshelves

Like Silvermoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I love christian themed books. I am a strong christian and love how inspiring this genre of books can be but they also have to seem realistic. I love that you could see God through the love the wife and children showed towards the homeless people. But since it's not realistic and sort of demanding about salvation, I think I'll pass on this book. Thank you for your honest review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a good read especially with Christmas just around the corner. I have read several Christian books and I enjoyed most of them. This seems like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds like a touching Christmas story. I love books that inspire people to help others.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
anushreevaishnav18
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Regifted
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by anushreevaishnav18 »

After this review...i really want to read this book
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html

Post by Silvermoon »