Midnight's Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Midnight's Children

Post by Gannon »

I have just finished reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Not a book you can breeze through. In fact it takes a bit of work. There were a few times when I was going to give it away but if you stick with it its a very rewarding book. The characters are rich and colourful and very real. The whole idea of the midnight children who all have different powers which range in level depending on how close to midnight thay were born is brilliant. Was this book worth the booker of bookers, I am not sure. I would love to hear other opinions from people who have read this magical book.
billrainier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by billrainier »

I just started reading it.
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

billrainier wrote:I just started reading it.
Hey billrainier, let me know what you think we you finish it. :)
cristlegirl

Post by cristlegirl »

I have never heard of it, but from what you described it's going on my must read list!
Goldie5

Post by Goldie5 »

I read it a few years ago, I was actually travelling in India at the time and I thought it would be a good time to read it. But it was wierd - I started seeing everything through the authors eyes, rather than reacting to it in my own way, so I stopped. But I finished it when I came back to the UK and would definitely recommend it - I agree, wouldn't necessarily have been my choice for 'booker of bookers', but worth a read none-the-less.
GEtherton

Post by GEtherton »

I am 25% through it and find it surprisingly entertaining. It's a surprise because it was selected by a book club I belong to and I don't usually agree with their choices. (I keep meaning to drop out. But just when it feels like I can politely leave, I find a gem like this.) The other members usually pick long, family saga-type books, which don't appeal to me. This book is long all right, but the storytelling style is unique, clever, and fun. I've gotten used to the way he slips in new characters or events as if they'd already been mentioned. Wait for it -- the narration brings you up to speed on the next page or so. I've already heard that the other members of my book club don't like this at all. Readers who need traditional form and structure will not enjoy "Midnight's Children." If it weren't so much of a doorstop (in size)! I hope to finish it, but maybe will have to take a brief light-reading break.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Midnight's Children is my second favourite book of all time (after Lord of the Rings). It won the Booker of Bookers after 25 years and again after 40 years.

Rushdie has created a book, which starts at the moment of Partition (the separation of India and Pakistan) in August 1947, that absolutely captures the essence of the sub-continent - its politics, its culture and its cooking. I swear there were times when I could actually smell the delicious aromas of Indian spices.

The paranormal attributes of "Midnights Children" - those born at the instant of Partition - adds just that touch of mysticism creating just another delicious element to an absolutely marvelous book.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”