Official Review: War and Vegetables by Robert Run

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Official Review: War and Vegetables by Robert Run

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War and Vegetables" by Robert Run.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War and Vegetables by Robert Run mainly focuses on the hardships faced by the middle class during modern day corporatism. The story begins with Paul Poznan, who has failed college, going on a road trip to his hometown, Sunny Knoll, Wisconsin, with his girlfriend Alexandra Chase, called Alex. Because of his academic fail, his girlfriend's parents, Ross and Sherry Chase, are concerned about Alex's decision to quit school and stay with Paul. Yet Alex comforts them, saying that Paul has chalked out a plan. Upon arriving home, they contact Paul's childhood friend, Spiro Young, known as Mint, who runs Stellar Gas, a gas station set up by both his (Michael and Angel Young) and Paul's parents (Keith and Valerie Poznan). They find out that Keith would be meeting them soon and ponder about the decisions he might ask them to make.

Theirs being a gas station stocked with all the essential groceries as well, the trio finds out that a lot of sale has gone down because of supermarkets and the like. Hence, they agree to Keith Poznan's idea of hosting a Farmer's Market. The rest of the story focuses on their planning and preparation for farmers to meet directly with the consumers and not to be cheated by any middlemen. In this process, they definitely find more helpers (their friends and the local community) and well-wishers than haters. But even a few haters can spoil all the fun.

Thus, the story of War and Vegetables is one of determination and perseverance. It is a tale which inspires any person to become a successful businessperson whilst being a helpful and caring one. It shows that even when you want to be on top, you must be considerate to the ones holding your ladder for you. It also relates the struggle faced everyday by the agriculture class, working to make our lives healthier and happier. In other words, it was a bridge between age old professions and technical advancement.

It was really hard to rate this book. The fact was that it was a real page-turner. But: one, I found too many grammatical errors and way too much unnecessary capitalization; two, the climax wasn't as mind-blowing as I expected it would be; and three, I felt that there was some inappropriate foul language used. Hence, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I feel really bad because it was overall a good read and deserved 4 stars just for the flow.

Little explanations about Mint's inventions and Paul's spontaneous writing adds a personal touch to the book, highlighting the fun excursions we have within our own selves. Overall, I believe that this book is an inspiration for all those who feel depressed in life and are unwilling to take a different path. You never know, a new path might be just a little prettier.

War and Vegetables
View: on Bookshelves

Like sindhu75063's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nice review! This sounds like an interesting book. I like the whole "road less travelled" concept and the fact that the main character is finding success in an unconventional way. Although I have a college degree, I often question the value of higher education and hope that my son's generation does not feel like they must go to college to be successful.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Nice review! This sounds like an interesting book. I like the whole "road less travelled" concept and the fact that the main character is finding success in an unconventional way. Although I have a college degree, I often question the value of higher education and hope that my son's generation does not feel like they must go to college to be successful.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, we must always remember that though academia is important, it is not everything required for a successful life. This has been proven time and again by various renowned people. This story is one of those inspiring ones.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I really liked that you mentioned this book had a stellar flow. I try not to mark down books because of foul language when it seems ''appropriate'' (I don't use nor think that there is a need for any indecent language but I used to and I know that some people swear when they are angry or down).
The storyline seems promising so I hope I get the chance to read this.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I really liked that you mentioned this book had a stellar flow. I try not to mark down books because of foul language when it seems ''appropriate'' (I don't use nor think that there is a need for any indecent language but I used to and I know that some people swear when they are angry or down).
The storyline seems promising so I hope I get the chance to read this.
I hope you do get a chance to read it. It's inspiring for sure. Thank you for your kind words.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I wonder if Paul and Alex ever became successful. The book sounds interesting and good for business minded people. Thank you for the nice review.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I wonder if Paul and Alex ever became successful. The book sounds interesting and good for business minded people. Thank you for the nice review.
I can't promise any spoilers! They do work pretty hard. It's quite inspiring for people who dream of starting a business. You're welcome! Thank you for the appreciation!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I really liked this review. You made the book seem very interesting even though the actual plot does not sound like it would be up my street. I love it when a book flows well. Well done on a really engaging review!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Reuben 92 wrote:I really liked this review. You made the book seem very interesting even though the actual plot does not sound like it would be up my street. I love it when a book flows well. Well done on a really engaging review!
Thank you for your kind words! It's true that the flow was good till the end. The plot was slightly monotonous at times, but overall, it was a pretty good read! Hope you like it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”