Official Review: Something Is Rotten In Fettig

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Something Is Rotten In Fettig

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something Is Rotten In Fettig" by Jere Krakoff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something is Rotten in Fettig by Jere Krakoff is a satirical novel about an incident within a fictitious country named Fettig, which is similar to America in the early 20th Century.

The main character, Leopold Plotkin, is a Jewish man and first generation Fettig with high aspirations to become an intellectual. His dreams are crushed at the tender age of thirteen when he is forced to work in his family’s Kosher butcher shop. A pacifist by nature, Leopold goes out of his way to please others and avoid conflict. Unfortunately for Leopold, his family thrives on conflict and chaos, which leads him down a path of disastrous events. As he struggles to keep the family business afloat, take care of his aging relatives, and find acceptance, Leopold becomes convicted of what is considered a grave injustice towards the Republic; in reality, it is a profound misunderstanding and the incident is used to forward the political agendas of all involved.

The novel starts with a helpful list of characters and their relation to Leopold Plotkin; it is a thoughtful reference given the amount of personalities to keep track of. There are also page numbers given for caricature drawings of twenty-five featured characters. The images add to the quirky nature of the book and serve to help introduce new characters. Sadly, there are times when the caricatures look alike or do not represent the description of a character.

Leopold’s story has a highly entertaining character arc and is filled with a rich back story. The supporting characters all serve a purpose and are given multidimensional identities. There are enough diverse characters for the reader to find one that is relatable.

The humor used in the book is reminiscent of Douglas Adams. Krakoff uses it to full affect by pointing out the absurd way the Republic passes laws, treats the lower class, the unwanted individuals, and the rampant abuse people with authority get away with. The names of agencies, buildings, and charities are all labeled to their agenda, which is a humorous and clever way to mock the establishment. For example, The Warehouse for the Purportedly Insane is where people who may or may not be insane are put out of societies way. Another highlight is the use of specific language within the laws, which leaves ambiguity and shockingly accurate ways they will be halfheartedly enacted.

Krakoff’s experience as a civil rights attorney allow the book to shine in the sections that focuses on the court room, lawyers, lawmakers, politicians, and the prison system. Unfortunately, a lot of chances for unique insight into the time period are lost due to an over use of stereotyping. For example, the psychiatrist is incompetent, erratic and overly focused on sex; The Jewish families are morose, argumentative hypochondriacs who are prone to exaggeration; Immigrants are poorly educated and refuse to assimilate; and all government officials are above the law. These are over used characterizations and cliches, which interfere with the absurdity the novel is trying to portray. The result is a novel that is predictable and less interesting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are laugh out loud moments and some great criticism of socioeconomic status, miscommunication, mob mentality, and corruption within places of power. I rated this 3 stars because, as stated above, there are few moments of original insight and the over reliance of stereotypes. I recommend this book to readers interested in a different way to look at history and lovers of dry humor.

Something Is Rotten In Fettig
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds really interesting. I love satirical political stories and courtroom drama which this book seems to have. It's a shame about the predictability though, I do like stories with great twists and unexpected plots. Overall though I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thoughtful review! I am not sure this book is for me. I don't think I would be able to relate to satire set in a fictitious country. It's not easy to relate to the humor. Glad you enjoyed the story despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

CrescentMoon wrote:This book sounds really interesting. I love satirical political stories and courtroom drama which this book seems to have. It's a shame about the predictability though, I do like stories with great twists and unexpected plots. Overall though I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
Thank you! @CrescentMoon The courtroom and procedural aspects were interesting and funny.

-- Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 am --
bookowlie wrote:Great, thoughtful review! I am not sure this book is for me. I don't think I would be able to relate to satire set in a fictitious country. It's not easy to relate to the humor. Glad you enjoyed the story despite the issues you mentioned.
Thank you! @bookowlie It does require some flexible thinking and some knowledge about the time period. I have pinned it down to somewhere between 1910-1919.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. However, I may find the satire a little abrasive for my taste :) Great job on the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the insightful and descriptive review! I'm not sure if this is a read for me, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Great, thorough review. The book sounds interesting but it does not seem like a book I might enjoy. :(
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book. However, I may find the satire a little abrasive for my taste :) Great job on the review.
Thank you! It was a bleak view of the justice system and society as a whole.

-- Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:02 am --
hsimone wrote:Thank you for the insightful and descriptive review! I'm not sure if this is a read for me, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)
Thanks! Political satire isn't for everyone. Glad you enjoyed the review.

-- Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:03 am --
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Great, thorough review. The book sounds interesting but it does not seem like a book I might enjoy. :(
Thank you for the comment. It's not an uplifting book.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I think this book would be an interesting political read. For those of us who would be bored by the theories and policies, we can learn about it in a fun way! Congrats on the good review!
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

sindhu75063 wrote:I think this book would be an interesting political read. For those of us who would be bored by the theories and policies, we can learn about it in a fun way! Congrats on the good review!
It's more social commentary than a history lesson. Thank you for your comment!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

As always, wonderful review! Not a book I will pick up, butbl your review was thorough and fascinating to read! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”