Official Review: Rise by Luis Almonte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Rise by Luis Almonte

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rise" by Luis Almonte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are very few occasions lately that I feel totally consumed by a book. More often than not, I've found myself discouraged and let down with what I have read. Rise by Luis Almonte is the true exception. Published in August of 2016, Almonte takes us on an original journey in his first novel, a contemporary Young Adult fantasy story. Rise is book one in the Trifecta series, with the other books still pending release. At a length of 212 pages, Rise is a short but totally consuming novel.

Our main character in the story is fifteen-year-old Alexia Wick, a witch in training. The story comes from the perspective of Alexia, which is appropriately relatable to a young adult reader. Alexia comes from a family of witches who are a part of the coven called Alerium. Alexia attends school at South Haven Academy for the Gifted and Talented, where there are two other covens in attendance as well. All witches are eventually called upon for the Pre-Trials, which is a test where certain witches are called upon to prove their abilities before they are considered for competition in the Trials. The Trials ultimately detail the amount of authority witches will have, and what level of spells they will be allowed to use. Although Alexia is a descendant of prominent witches already, she fears the outcome of the Pre-Trials and her ability to succeed for her coven.

Slowly starting to feel a drift with her best friend, Alexia dreads going to school. On the first day back after the summer vacation, Alexia runs into (literally) someone new, who immediately catches her attention. Kaleb is attractive, friendly, and shows the same amount of interest back to Alexia. While finding herself so drawn to Kaleb, Alexia enjoys the distraction from the Trials that he offers. Just as quickly as she finds herself involved with Kaleb, Alexia learns a dark secret that could tear them apart completely. Fighting to stay true to her coven and family are always foremost in her mind, but doesn't her happiness matter as well?

I was pleasantly surprised with how well the writing was done on this novel, as you can tell the author took careful consideration into how the reader would see the story in their own mind. As I was reading, I already had a complete picture in my mind of how the story would play out. The intense action and suspense kept me engaged until the end, and even then left me wanting more. The pace of the story was very steady, without lagging moments to drag out. I was also a fan of how this book stayed true to the young adult genre, with all dialogue and relationships remaining PG appropriate. As we already know, Rise is book one in the series, and I am already looking forward to hearing the rest of the story- with hopefully finding out more about Kaleb and his involvement.

It is my pleasure to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, with absolutely no complaints that I can come up with. (Other than having to wait for the second book.) The character development shown in this story is what makes it all so relatable for a me as a reader, and I look forward to reading more about Alexia's journey. Rise is very appropriate for Young Adult readers, but also still interesting enough for an adult to enjoy just as well. I look forward to reading more from this author, as his potential shines through so well in his writing.

Rise
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Tami216- »

It looks like a great book. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Kourtney Bradley

Tami216- wrote:It looks like a great book. Thanks for the review!
It was! Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds like a very interesting book with a fascinating protagonist. I love stories about witches and this seems like something an old person like me would enjoy :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Luis Almonte on such an obviously well written book.
Kourtney Bradley

kimmyschemy06 wrote:This sounds like a very interesting book with a fascinating protagonist. I love stories about witches and this seems like something an old person like me would enjoy :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Luis Almonte on such an obviously well written book.
I hope you check this one out! I am really looking forward to the next book!
–Vera Nazarian
sm1234
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

It seems like a really great book. Thank you for writing such a well written review.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The cover seems really interesting. Your review made this book go into my to read shelf. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Kourtney Bradley

I'm glad to hear it!
–Vera Nazarian
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

I love YA fantasy especially when you add magic and will definitely be buying this book. What a fantastic review. Congrats to the author on being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great review! I've just finished reading a few pages and I have to agree, the author's writing really does make it easy for you to play out the scenes like a movie in your head. :)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I love YA fantasy and have a special place for witches. This book has got to go to the top of my TBR! Thanks for sharing!

-- 05 Nov 2016, 11:38 --

Great review! I love YA fantasy and have a special place for witches. This book has got to go to the top of my TBR! Thanks for sharing!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Hey! Glad you enjoyed reading the book! Sounds good! Congrats to the author on the 4/4 rating. Thank you for the great review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! I like that you mentioned the book doesn't have any draggy sections and that you were kept in suspense the whole time. Too often a book will start off well and then drag in the middle. I am going to take a second look at this one.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for a great, insightful review! Sometimes, I get in one of those slumps where I read a few books that are 'meh' and don't feel completely immersed in. I am so glad that this book wasn't the case for you. I love fantasies and young adult reads, so this might be a read for me. Congratulations to the author for receiving a glowing review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kourtney Bradley

hsimone wrote:Thank you for a great, insightful review! Sometimes, I get in one of those slumps where I read a few books that are 'meh' and don't feel completely immersed in. I am so glad that this book wasn't the case for you. I love fantasies and young adult reads, so this might be a read for me. Congratulations to the author for receiving a glowing review!

Thank you! It was a fantastic read!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”