As The Leaves Kiss The Stream by Terry Barnes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

As The Leaves Kiss The Stream by Terry Barnes

Post by Birdlady1950 »

STORY-LINE, AS THE LEAVES KISS THE STREAM:

Kenya and Mombasa are missionary fields for the Gamble family; not only an occupation but a calling from God. However, life for this missionary family suddenly becomes a nightmare. As The Leave Kiss The Stream is an intense drama between father and daughter. Expelled from school, daughter Erin's attitude is angry and self-pitying. The family leaves their calling to come home to America. Erin, rebellious, verbally abusive, judgemental, and fill of teenage angst is determined to make life as miserable for her family as possible.

Determined to find common ground and healing for his family, Erin's father's solution is a camping and fly fishing trip in the Ozark Mountains. A place of peace, beauty, and spiritual healing. As Erin's father stated:

"we reminded me of two wild animals who growled at each other, circled around, each trying to discover the other's weakness, who swatted then yielded but always probed, and of course snarled."

Come with Erin and her father as they traverse the high and lows of their father and daughter relationship. Will they find common ground? Will Erin find her way back to family and God? Grab your favorite beverage, have seat, relax, and enjoy this wonderful story.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:

First, I feel I must tell you how much I enjoyed this book. Set in the Ozark Mountain, author Terry Barnes' descriptions were so vivid I could see and smell the countryside. Furthermore, I could feel the peace and tranquility of the area. I could feel the hurt of Erin's father as he found his daughter had become a stranger and his struggle to regain his once loving daughter. You will not find out the name of Erin's father until the last page, which oddly I do not find strange at all. I was too caught up in the story to wonder about his name. Anyone who has raised a teenager will relate to this book. Terry Barnes has command of the English language and story-telling; he even added a touch of humor. He skillfully portrayed the struggle between father and daughter as well as the guile parents must use at times.

I found the pacing and plotting of the story was correct for the page count. There is no fluff in this book. Each page impresses the reader with the emotions and struggles. I love the insight into Erin's father's thoughts and could relate to them. As The Leaves Kiss The Stream is an intensely emotional story of love and growing up, as well as grace and redemption. Are resolutions forthcoming? Has Erin's father failed to count the costs of his calling? Sorry, you will have to read the book.

In concluding the review of As the Leaves Kiss The Stream, I found well-developed characters and a solid story-line. This book contains deeply thought-out composition and presentation. Furthermore, every parent who has a teenager or has had one, should this book.

RECOMMENDATION, AS THE LEAVES KISS THE STREAM: STARS 5

I found this a deeply satisfying book. Well-written and developed, I look forward to reading more of this author's work. This book is suitable for anyone who can understand the concepts involved as it is a clean, clear, easy to read book.

FINAL NOTE: I received this book by way of author and publisher in return for an honest book review. All book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on line and on my blog under my name are my opinion.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”