Official Review: The Swallows in the Boathouse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Official Review: The Swallows in the Boathouse

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Swallows in the Boathouse" by Stephen L.W. Greene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give Swallows in The Boathouse by Stephen L.W. Greene 4 out of 4 stars. It is a wonderful story reminiscent of Animal Farm. The story is full of historical and political references. It shows how easily a person can become obsessed and the lengths they will go to for their beliefs. The author also allows the story to give insight to the causes and effects of mass hysteria.

Swallows in The Boathouse follows the plight of a colony of swallows as they are removed from their nesting site. Once removed they face a myriad of problems as one man sets out to eradicate them while another fights for their survival. From the very beginning until the end, you will not be able to put this book down.

The amount of references throughout this book is astounding. Nazis, September 11th, Obama, Lord of the Flies, and the movie The Fly are all brought up at some, if not multiple, points in the book. These references remind the reader that even though the problem may seem like a humorous plight it is not the first time individuals blindly followed a leader. The author shows how certain word choices can incite mass hysteria and divide parties.

This book was an amazing read. It was wonderfully edited which allowed me to enjoy the story without being distracted by spelling and grammatical errors. The comparisons between the story and historical events made the book very relatable. The characters throughout the book are divided by their beliefs in the beginning, but in the end growth allows them to cross dividing lines. The fantastical idea that animals and humans can communicate using the same language and that animal human crossbreeds can be created was quite enjoyable. The battle of wills in the book shows the lengths that an individual will go to when an obsession becomes too much and how former enemies can become co-workers. All of these factors made it impossible for me to stop reading.

Swallows in The Boathouse is a fantastic book. I could not put it down once I started reading it. I highly recommend this book to everyone. The fantastic editing allowed for me to enjoy the book without distractions. The character growth and references allow for the story to be relatable. There was not anything that I did not like about this book. I cannot give Swallows in The Boathouse enough praise.

The Swallows in the Boathouse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with profound themes. I enjoyed Animal Farm a lot and I think I'm going to enjoy this one, too. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Stephen L.W. Greene on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”