Review: Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dramasylum
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Post by Dramasylum »

If you can read only one book this season, make it this one! It is constructed masterfully, full of heart and humanity. It's one of those rare books that will make you both laugh and cry ... that you don't want to see end.
Last edited by Gravy on 23 Sep 2016, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added author
Mreed0131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mreed0131.html

Post by Mreed0131 »

I loved this book. I was so sad when the book ended. It was heartwarming, sometimes funny, and other times terribly sad. At the end of the book I wanted my own Ove. I think everyone should take the time to read this book.
Easypz
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Easypz »

I listened to the audiobook earlier this year (I also enjoy reading books) and learned that Ove is pronounced OOH-vah. The novel is a fictional autobiography of a curmudgeon whom I learned to love as the novel progressed. I laughed, I cried, I smiled, and I felt indignation. Months later parts of the novel still come to mind. If you’re looking for a read that tugs at your heart-strings I suggest you try “A Man Called Ove.”
jakebook77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakebook77.html

Post by jakebook77 »

I'm almost done with this book. I love it so far.
tinahicks87
Favorite Book: I'll Point to Heaven: We will be Together Again
Currently Reading: The Book of Mormon
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by tinahicks87 »

This book was amazing! When I read I see the story played out in my head. This book was very visible with the writing. I laughed and not many books make me laugh as much as the antics in this book. And watching this man’s heart melt into love and turn from the grouchy neighbor into the man everyone goes to was a very enjoyable journey!! I recommend everyone to strap in and enjoy this leisurely and pleasant ride!
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

A Man Called Ove is one of my favourite stories of all time. This was funny, tender, and thoroughly entertaining. The main character was vivid and real, and his interactions with his new neighbours were very emotional. In the beginning, he has given up on life after a very sad event, and no longer feels like he has any purpose at all. He even loses his job. Then everything suddenly changes with the introduction of caring, thoughtful people who refuse to stay out of Ove's life. He is forced, against his will, to open up and challenge his withdrawn mindset.

The writing style is alluring and powerful and somewhat poetic. It takes on a life of its own. You can't understand Ove without the author's charged voice, pushing through the hardest of life's difficulties, and destroying Ove's beliefs that the world has no good in it. Every time Ove tries to kill himself, Fredrik creates an irresistible force that grabs a hold of the character and keeps him going. Ove may try to keep himself from feeling anything about people, but Fredrik always finds a way for Ove's life to take on more meaning.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”