Official Review: Bloody Gullets by Michael Golvach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Official Review: Bloody Gullets by Michael Golvach

Post by Ryan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloody Gullets" by Michael Golvach.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bloody Gullets by Michael Golvach

In this bloody collection of short stories, the whole oeuvre of crime is on display for the more horrifically-inclined individuals. From a hyper-religious serial killer to a Kesey-esque exploration of modern cultural madness, this collection tightly weaves together stories of varying lengths to create a collection that attempts to explore the human psyche and shifting perspectives. This is Bloody Gullets.

Structurally the collection is very strong, with themes of identity and its various modes of destruction seamlessly binding stories such as ‘Small Deaths’ and ‘Broken Metre’ with their focus on the individual and their inner worlds, to a much broader stroke encompassing ‘Infection is the Game’, to create a compact exploration of the duality between individual and society where reality constantly seems to shift. The constant “rebirth” of Marcus Freeman (consisting mainly of forgetting most of his life whenever he sleeps) in ‘Small Deaths’ has him searching constantly for an identity -- a life -- which he can mould into, while the suicidal yearnings of Frank Karrol reveals the destructive impulse to destroy one’s identity when its vicissitudes become too much to bear. This is given palpable proportions in ‘Infection is the Game’ in which residents of a mental hospital mysteriously begin to decapitate themselves in a fury against the inanity of modern life.

That said, most of the stories are weak. The ones above are arguably the strongest with distinctive characters and fresh plots, but the same cannot be said of them all. While the nuanced protagonist in ‘Infection is the Game’ vivifies the already original plot and palpable atmosphere, other stories seem flat and characterless, such as ‘Infamous G’ in which a (presumably) paranoid schizophrenic believes he is a god. The premise is cliché and the characters are lifeless, though the warped perception of the character is handled with some care and complements the surrealism of the later ‘Infection’ nicely. This surrealism is ultimately one of a few styles incorporated into the collection with some stories having a very strong romantic bent and others being very slasher-oriented. The former can be found in ‘Four Leaf Clover’, for example, where we meet a forensic photographer trapped in a grim fantasy of his own creation and the loveless reality becomes too much to bear. The range is certainly commendable but the execution is patchy.

Some of the stories do seem a little out of place, however. In ‘Dead Men’ (a series of three short stories) we meet a lawyer abusing his power to commit a series of murders and in ‘No Women, No Children’ the protagonist is instead a police officer who uses his ethically inscribed position to murder innocent bystanders. While these stories fit nicely together, they don’t complement the others or expand upon the themes in any significant way other than perhaps to explore the nuances of power and its effect upon the perception of the character. The exploration is a shallow one, however, and doesn’t add any great depth or nuance to the collection. The writer seems to do well with the more personal narratives as his more action-oriented ones feel cheap and clichéd. The ending of ‘Four Leaf Clover’, for example, seemed needlessly contrived and sensational, whereas simply ending the story with the character continuing to live in his fantasy world would have given it much more edge, realism and variety.

In summary, I think there is a lot of potential here but unfortunately the quality across the collection is inconsistent. While certain stories shine – such as ‘Infection is the Game’, ‘Small Deaths’ and ‘Four Leaf Clover’ – others feel unoriginal and flat. Characters, plot and structure in many of them leave a lot to be reworked and the dialogue is usually characterless and occasionally stilted. However, the collection is thematically impressive with most stories complementing each other nicely and adding some nuance, but others do feel out of place and could have been replaced with more suitable ones. The book was formatted nicely and there were no grammatical/spelling errors, so top marks for editing. Because of all the issues, however, I can only award this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Bloody Gullets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ryan's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written, thorough review. Glad you were able to appreciate the potential despite the inconsistent quality of the various stories.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

This book definitely seemed like it had potential, it's a shame it had quite a few errors. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Thank you both! I'm glad you enjoyed the review :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review, and intense I would say. Some stories do sound interesting but, I think, too bloody (gory?) for my taste. Great job on the review.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review, and intense I would say. Some stories do sound interesting but, I think, too bloody (gory?) for my taste. Great job on the review.
Thanks, kimmy! :D
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great review! Sounds a bit too much for me, but I enjoyed reading what you thought about it.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Lauren M wrote:Great review! Sounds a bit too much for me, but I enjoyed reading what you thought about it.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Thank you for sharing your honest review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

klbradley wrote:Thank you for sharing your honest review!
Thanks, kl! :D
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I too read this book and agree that some of the stories were much more memorable than the others. Although, in general, I did find the stories were easy, mostly fun reads. Good to read someone else's critique of the book, thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”