Official Review: Reverie by Lauren E. Rico

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Reverie by Lauren E. Rico

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reverie" by Lauren E. Rico.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reverie by Lauren E. Rico, categorized in the Other Fiction genre, incorporates themes of love, abandonment, trust, friendship, abuse, and healing.

Julia James has some deep scars in her past. Due to this, she pours her heart and soul into the one thing that heals her: her cello. Julia's grit and commitment to her passion has landed this talented cellist as a contender in the Kreisler Competition, a reputable instrumental competition.

The only thing missing in her life is, none other than, love. Then, attractive and charming French horn player, Jeremy Corrigan, finally takes notice of the quiet and reserve Julia. In no time, the attraction between the two soar and, willingly, Julia falls head over heals for Jeremy. Unfortunately, Jeremy also some past secrets himself. Will the two young and talented instrumentalists be able to make it?

Reading Reverie was a real treat for me. Between the author's writing style and the nicely-paced plot, it quickly became a read I looked forward to picking up. Written in two different character point of views, Julia and Jeremy, the reader is able to easily dive into the thoughts and feelings of both. What I really loved is the musical descriptions in the story. I believe it captured some of what actual musicians feel and go through in their chosen profession.

In the first part of the book, Julia's POV, I was able to predict a major plot point. Because of this, I was a bit fearful of how this event would play out and how would this author keep my interest. Then, Rico takes this easy-to-predict aspect of the story and throws the reader in for a roller coaster ride. I am unsure of how many 'oh my gosh' or 'seriously?' I verbalized while reading, but I can assure you that I did not see certain scenes coming.

Aside from the predictability aspect earlier on in the book, there are some editing issues here. There are some words and/or letters missing in a few pages. For instance, on page 227, the following part of a sentence is missing something: “The s are squealing...” There are also a couple of points when punctuation is absent, mainly quotation marks and periods.

As a warning: There are some explicit sexual scenes and some domestic violence in this book. While there aren't many, it is still noteworthy to mention for potential readers.

With another round of editing, this book could easily be a 4, however, I became distracted enough during reading that Reverie is receiving a 3 out of 4 stars rating. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy some romance and a read that shows the effects of unstable childhoods.

Reverie
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a nice book despite being predictable. I am glad you enjoyed it overall. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, gali! It was still a good read. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The story sounds interesting with a cool music theme. Glad you enjoyed the book, despite the technical errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
beeholman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beeholman.html

Post by beeholman »

Wow I used to type books for a publishing company. We would have been really in deep trouble if we left those types of mistakes!!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The story sounds interesting with a cool music theme. Glad you enjoyed the book, despite the technical errors.
Thank you, bookowlie! I really did enjoy the music aspect the story. :)

-- 18 Sep 2016, 12:17 --
beeholman wrote:Wow I used to type books for a publishing company. We would have been really in deep trouble if we left those types of mistakes!!
Yes, it is sad how many books out there that have errors that can easily be fixed. Hopefully, the author will have another editor to edit future books. Other than that, the story is still a good one!
Heidi

Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

nice review! I am pretty sure the music theme is going to make me dive into the story.....as I always get attracted of these music themes. thanks hsimone....for such a great review.... :)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Ashley 1820! The musical aspect definitely caught my interest, and I believe the author tied it in so nicely in this story. If you do get to read it, I hope you enjoy! :)
Heidi

CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Great review hsimone! Initially I was debating about whether or not to review this book. The music and romance in this book sounded like an awesome combination. Your review definitely makes me want to pick it up now. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, CrescentMoon! It was a whirlwind of a ride, so I think you might enjoy it, too. If you do pick it up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)
Heidi

Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It's too bad about all the errors. The high school flute player in me got really excited about the prospect of this book! Great job on the review :)
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

This book sounds really good. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for a well written review. I know I would enjoy the musical theme although I'm not certain it's a book I would enjoy overall. Sounds like it might be leaning heavily toward the romance genre?
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kia wrote:It's too bad about all the errors. The high school flute player in me got really excited about the prospect of this book! Great job on the review :)
Thank you, Kia! I haven't picked it up in a while, but I also have played the flute for a while, so I also got excited as well. :)

-- 26 Sep 2016, 14:21 --
Lauren M wrote:This book sounds really good. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you, Lauren M! The book was really good!

-- 26 Sep 2016, 14:27 --
Elaine5 wrote:Thanks for a well written review. I know I would enjoy the musical theme although I'm not certain it's a book I would enjoy overall. Sounds like it might be leaning heavily toward the romance genre?
Thank you, Elaine5! It does lean quite a bit on the romance aspect, especially towards the beginning of the protagonists' relationship. If that is something you don't enjoy, then this might not be a good for you. There aren't many, but enough to make me want the storyline to keep going.
Heidi

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I love music though I don't play any other musical instrument besides the guitar. I think this will be a very interesting book for me. Great job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”