Official Review: All The Dark We Will Not See

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: All The Dark We Will Not See

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All The Dark We Will Not See" by Michael Neff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All The Dark We Will Not See by Michael B. Neff is a densely packed political satire that captures the disillusionment and corruption of Reagan era politics. Neff uses his first-hand experience (working in Washington, D.C. during the Carter, Reagan, Bush and Clinton administrations) to give readers a truly unique inside look into the changing political climate of the 1980s.

The storyline centers around a naive young man named Edison Eden, who considers himself a natural whistleblower and a seeker of justice. After failing to maintain employment in his home state of Wisconsin, he decides the perfect job for him is at The Office of Whistleblowers Counsel (OWC) in Washington, D.C. Unfortunately, his faith in America and ideals are shaken once he is introduced to the politics within his office and Washington, D.C. area.

Neff does an excellent job showcasing the materialistic, narcissistic, and looks-over-substance vibe that ruled the 1980s. The reader is brought into this glittering plastic world and is shown its slimy underbelly. It is an uncomfortable read that highlights the gross misinterpretation of laws for the purpose of corruption, political gain, and corporate greed.

The writing style is part exquisitely written prose, fever dream, and includes a dose of realism to keep the storyline cohesive. The vocabulary used is expansive and a lot of the references felt more suited for insiders of the time period. The most interesting and captivating part of the novel is the way Neff uses point of view, which is alternated between second and third person. The use of second person allows the reader to be an extension of the character and obtain an odd sense of disassociation that was absolutely perfect for this novel. There are several other writing technique employed to keep the text feeling fresh. For example, poetry, journals, and letters all add to the depth and texture of this book.

The characters were all interesting with unusual and vivid descriptions that served to describe their personalities and physical appearance- adding some much needed comic relief. The overall tone is a feeling of a slow descent into insanity while desperately clinging to the moral and ethical sense of self. The chapter titles are broken into several parts summarizing what is to come.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I knew about the corruption during Reagan’s Presidency but this book was a whole different level of eye-opening. It is not a light read and it is upsetting, but it is one of those unusual reading experiences I would never want to give up. I recommend it to people that are curious about politics and those seeking an unusual reading experience.

All The Dark We Will Not See
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

This sounds so interesting!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

It's interesting and gets really dark.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

At the risk of sounding a bit grim, I find the political underbelly fascinating and often enjoy dark stories. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! I love your description that the book isn't a light read and is upsetting, but was still a wonderful reading experience. I almost selected this book and your review has made me wish I did. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Wow this book sounds really good. It's interesting to see the behind-the-scenes look at how politics actually work. I definitely want to read this now. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Great review. This books sounds really interesting, but I don't think it's for me. I don't really enjoy heavily political or upsetting books.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Thimble wrote:Great review. This books sounds really interesting, but I don't think it's for me. I don't really enjoy heavily political or upsetting books.
Same... I'm not really into books about politics. Good job on the review though! :)
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

Elaine5 wrote:At the risk of sounding a bit grim, I find the political underbelly fascinating and often enjoy dark stories. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!
You will really enjoy this! @Elaine5 :D

-- Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 am --
bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! I love your description that the book isn't a light read and is upsetting, but was still a wonderful reading experience. I almost selected this book and your review has made me wish I did. :)
Thank you! @bookowlie It definitely was a challenging read from an emotional perspective. :D

-- Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:39 am --
CrescentMoon wrote:Wow this book sounds really good. It's interesting to see the behind-the-scenes look at how politics actually work. I definitely want to read this now. Great review!
@CrescentMoon it was fascinating to read about the inner workings of the political process. I hope you enjoy it!

-- Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:39 am --
Thimble wrote:Great review. This books sounds really interesting, but I don't think it's for me. I don't really enjoy heavily political or upsetting books.
@Thimble Thank you! I understand. :)

-- Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 am --
zero_macabre wrote:
Same... I'm not really into books about politics. Good job on the review though! :)
@zero_macabre Thank you! I understand not wanting to read something that will upset you.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

What a wonderful book review! Not really my cup of tea bit it sounds very intriguing!
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:What a wonderful book review! Not really my cup of tea bit it sounds very intriguing!
Thank you! @TrishaAnn92
rosalyncaar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosalyncaar.html

Post by rosalyncaar »

I've got to stop reading so many reviews, I just find more to add to my "to read" list. That list is so long already!
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

rosalyncaar wrote:I've got to stop reading so many reviews, I just find more to add to my "to read" list. That list is so long already!
Lol! I'm glad you found mine. :D I hope you enjoy it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another wonderful review, bluemel4! I enjoyed reading it. :) I'm not sure if this a read for me, but it does sound like a unique and interesting one. Even with how dark this book seems, I'm glad the author was able to put in some comic relief.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great review! Not sure if I would like it or not. I might try a sample on Amazon and see.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”