Official Review: Protecting Elvis by Charlotte Morgan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Protecting Elvis by Charlotte Morgan

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Protecting Elvis" by Charlotte Morgan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Protecting Elvis shares the stories of three women--Velis Emerson, Priscilla Johnson, and Notary Midgette--who find themselves in the unique predicament of protecting the reputation of rock icon Elvis Presley. These women live in different parts of the Southeastern United States and have little in common, but their lives are forever changed through their affiliation with the King. The book is divided into three parts that share the individual stories of each woman, with interludes from the perspective of Gladys Love Presley, the late mother of Elvis.

The events of this novel take place within the last five years of Elvis' life. During this period, Elvis was still quite popular, but suffered from a myriad of personal and professional troubles. Elvis' issues with his physical health and interpersonal relationships are driving forces behind the plotlines of this book.

The most prominent feature of Protecting Elvis is the superb character development. Velis, Notary, and Priscilla are complex, three dimensional characters that are endearing, and sometimes even a bit vexing. Each woman contains a balance of strengths and weaknesses that makes the reader sympathize with their individual struggles. The supporting characters are also quite lively and contribute significantly to the storytelling. Even Elvis himself, although not present throughout much of the book, is given ample character development, with emphasis on how the loss of his mother and estrangement from his wife and daughter contribute to his problems.

The plots for each story are executed wonderfully, and I can say that this was one of those books that I just did not want to put down. I became quite attached to the protagonists and was eager to find out how their stories would end. However, I am sad to say that there were some issues with the quality of the writing, particularly concerning the latter chapters of the book. The writing within the chapters concerning Velis and Priscilla seemed to have been carefully edited, but the author was quite careless with the chapters on Notary. Within this section of the book, the author constantly swapped between first and third person narration, which was somewhat confusing. I also noticed a higher number of grammatical errors within this portion of the book. Notary's story was still enjoyable, but the aforementioned errors were a distraction.

But overall, Protecting Elvis is an entertaining read by a promising author, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given a four-star rating, if not for the high volume of errors within the third part of the book. I would recommend this book to Elvis Presley fans, as well as those who enjoy literature from the Southeastern United States.

Protecting Elvis
View: on Bookshelves

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thorough review. I actually considered selecting this book recently and, after reading your review, I wish I did. :) I am glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the high number of pesky errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great, thorough review. I actually considered selecting this book recently and, after reading your review, I wish I did. :) I am glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the high number of pesky errors.
Thanks! I highly recommend this book and hope that you do get to read it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My mom loves Elvis Presley! Sounds good, though I am not sure it is for me. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the errors. Thank you for the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I'm not a fan of Elvis Presley, but this book does sound like a delightful read. Thank you for the review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

gali wrote:My mom loves Elvis Presley! Sounds good, though I am not sure it is for me. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the errors. Thank you for the great review! :)
Thank you, Gali! Maybe your mom would enjoy this book?

-- 20 Sep 2016, 14:34 --
Clifora wrote:I'm not a fan of Elvis Presley, but this book does sound like a delightful read. Thank you for the review!
I'm not a huge Elvis fan, either, but the book's premise just grabbed me for some reason. Thanks for reading my review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

My parents loved Elvis Presley and so do I, though I'm not that old :) . My favorite song by him is Love Me Tender. This seems like an interesting book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:My parents loved Elvis Presley and so do I, though I'm not that old :) . My favorite song by him is Love Me Tender. This seems like an interesting book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank you, Kimmy! I think that there are Elvis fans of all ages. His music is very moving, and definitely a safe choice for young ears!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. This is a very well written review! Thanks for sharing :)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed reading the book. This is a very well written review! Thanks for sharing :)
Thank you for reading it! :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”