Contemporary Fiction Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mairin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mairin »

Underworld by Don Delillo would be my recommendation.
Ze Pequeno

Post by Ze Pequeno »

Just finished a cracking book called The Carpet King of Texas by Paul Kennedy. It's hardcore stuff, and not for the faint-hearted - and certainly not one to buy for your mother for Christmas!

Having said that, for fans of Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting - but with more humour) and Brett Easton-Ellis (American Psycho - but with less blood) I couldn't recommend this book enough.

I was lucky enough to be leant a first edition by a friend, although I've pre-ordered my own copy. It's out on Sept 1st I believe. It's addictive stuff - just like the subject matter described within it.
YellowButterfly85

Post by YellowButterfly85 »

I have to say that I am usually into pretty much anything as long as it's somewhat well written and has a decent plot. Sometimes I can fall prey to buying books solely on the front and back covers, but I don't like to read books where the author drones on over one subject for any lengthy period of time ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" did this and I couldn't read but a chapter at a time), because that puts me to sleep. I've loved authors from Dean Koontz to Greg Iles to Jeffrey Eugenides to Josh Bazell and Ken Follet. Most of the time I enjoy mysteries and thrillers. I'd never heard of Josh Bazell, and I couldn't believe how entertaining he was. Most of the time, I get recommendations from books my friends have read. Recently, a friend of mine (who is related to this author) gave me a copy of a book called "Wavering" by Virginia Frazier. It has an awesome cover, and it's a pretty easy read, but I have to say it was one of the fastest books I've ever read, and not because it's short. It moved very quickly. Also, I was once a young teenage girl, so I couldn't help but empathize with the main character and want to find out more about her situation with the stalker and why she ended up where she was in the beginning of the book (it's one of those stories where you start at the end of the book, go into the past, and then go back to what was occurring in the beginning of the book). All I have to say is that I was surprised, and I couldn't help but tear up over her situation. You have to read "Wavering" to know what I'm talking about.
likemangos

Post by likemangos »

Womaniser
Lori27

Post by Lori27 »

I highly recommend Judy Pascoe's debut novel "Our Father Who Art in the Tree". It's a very short read, but really moving, funny, and beautifully written.
Career Novelist

Post by Career Novelist »

With the Twilight series of novels and movies taking the vampire world by storm, and True Blood bringing Sookie Stackhouse's novels to life, I have to say--as a lifelong vampire fan--I am disappointed. I almost gave up on the genre until a friend recommended Laurell K. Hamilton's series of Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books. What a difference! As a thirty-something man who enjoys truth and grit over politically correct and safe literature, I have to say this woman pulls no punches! Her character is layered incredibly well, there are rarely ever any slow points in the novels (I've read the last nine in the last nine months), and she never seems to tread on old ground. I have a sneaking suspicion writers like Stephanie Meyer long ago took their cues from this brilliant writer and her books and it pains me to see such vanilla material getting so much mainstream press. Then again, all the thirteen year olds love Edward, so there's that. If you want a vampire novel with some substance, some action and some serious sex appeal, check out Hamilton's first book, Guilty Pleasures.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

It was just the hype that led to the popularity of Twilight altogether..
YellowButterfly85

Post by YellowButterfly85 »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:It was just the hype that led to the popularity of Twilight altogether..
I feel that way about a decent number of books today. A book becomes "popular" and because others want to be a part of the "in" crowd, they boast about how great it is.
Jackoliver

Post by Jackoliver »

I am new for Book and Reading Forums. Please help me how to proceed and work.
BambiA93

Post by BambiA93 »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:It was just the hype that led to the popularity of Twilight altogether..
I thought the series was entertaining, more so than the movies, but the first book was slooooow.
Bolu

Post by Bolu »

ADS Technologies :roll:
Laddie

Post by Laddie »

We just published our first book and would love some reviews. You can find the book summary on Amazon's site. Anyone that thinks they are in, have ever been in or knows someone in a verbally/emotionally abusive relationship should read this! It isn't a self help book by any means, but will give you unique insight on the topic. Funny, sad, entertaining.. but not your standard read. Unique in set-up, it definitely will provoke some interesting discussions for book clubs everywhere. Let me know what you think!!
LadyJeanette09

Post by LadyJeanette09 »

Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson.

It's a pretty great romance novel (copyright 2009). If you like Italians and cowboys, you'll love this.

Hey, if you happen to be reading it now too, or just finished it, send me a message, I'd love to chat about it.[/i]
Richardswann65

Post by Richardswann65 »

I would like to recommend a book The gir who played with fire by Stieg Larsson. It is a masterful, endlessly satisfying novel. Mikael Blomkvist, crusading publisher of the magazine Millennium, has decided to run a story that will expose an extensive sex trafficking operation. On the eve of its publication, the ...more
Denysaputra

Post by Denysaputra »

I never care about that, cause i think all of that is enough to enjoy.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”