Official Review: Reset by Michael Huffman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: Reset by Michael Huffman

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reset" by Michael Huffman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reset is a contemporary fiction set during current times. It is 376 pages long and is written in a conversational style.

Chance Taylor is a handyman. He is single and leads a simple life. After buying a very high-tech, specialized laptop (for gaming), he finds a video hidden deep in the computer's system. The video details a government led program designed to “reset” the world's populace. It also gives instructions for how to hide 1000 people and keep them alive for the required time that it will take for the virus (that the government will release) to dissipate.

Chance is faced with a horrible choice. How can he trust anyone with this information? How can he choose who to save and who to condemn to death? One thing is certain, if he doesn't make the right choices, none of them will live.

I enjoyed reading this book. Although this is listed as contemporary fiction, it will appeal to readers of dystopian fiction. I am a huge fan of dystopian fiction. For me, Reset was a breath of fresh air. This book takes a different angle to the whole government virus/end of the world idea. In this book, we see the day-to-day preparations that would have to be thought of in order to survive something of this magnitude. At first, it felt like the writing was moving along very slowly, but as the story continued, it all came together neatly. The last half of the book was definitely high-paced. There are so many emotions that I have experienced in this book. I can definitely relate with Chance Taylor. At one point, Chance realizes that he is going to have to utilize the darker, hidden side of his nature in order to save his family. I feel that this was a very realistic side of humanity. Even though it tore him up inside, he still did what had to be done. Throughout the book, there are situations that arise that continually make this story feel very realistic.

I can't find much fault with this book. There are a few grammatical errors. For example, there are several times that the person speaking says “I have saw those....” instead of “I've seen”. This was annoying, and really stood out in the writing. Other than that, Reset is great!

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys dystopian or end-times fiction. You won't be disappointed. I am rating this 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a 4 star rating but the grammatical errors are enough that I am rating it a 3 instead.

Reset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Paliden's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Is the entire book written in "conversational style?"
I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

@klbradley, Yes, the whole book is written in conversational style but once you get used to it, it's fine. At first it was a little odd, but I adjusted to the flow of the book relatively easy.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and intriguing book and Chance seems like a relatable character. I like dystopian fiction and this seems like one enjoyable read. Good job on the review.
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks! Yes, Chance was very relatable!
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like an enjoyable read. However, I'm not sure I will give it a go due to the grammatical errors. These typically drive me to distraction!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

@Elaine5, Yes, it usually drives me insane as well, but these weren't too bad.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Although I don't usually care for the dystopian genre, this book sounds really interesting. Glad you enjoyed the book despite the pesky errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kelly Masters
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kelly Masters »

I bought this book on 3/26/16. Once I started reading it, it only took me two days to finish, because it had me hooked. I'm usually a pretty slow reader, but this book was so interesting and the author seemed to think of things from angles I would have never even thought of. If you have a couple days, I would recommend this book to anyone. Happy reading!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”