Official Review: Risen by Thomas Barr Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Risen by Thomas Barr Jr.

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Risen" by Thomas Barr Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I never imagined that this book would leave me a lasting impression. I was never a fan of books addressing religion. I’m not a fan biographies, whether biopic or not, either. Nevertheless, I picked this book on a whim. The moment I finished reading, I thanked myself for that thoughtless decision. The book was amazing. It was far from what I expected. I felt like I did myself a huge favor when I decided to give this book a try.

Risen is the first volume of Thomas Barr Jr.’s Miami’s Urban Chronicles. The story revolves around Chauncey Miller, a brilliant and ambitious boy who is fascinated with religion. He uses his innate talent of connecting to people and his impeccable intelligence to achieve his goal and become an influential spiritual leader. His once innocent dream soon becomes twisted and dangerous in his thirst for more power. This book explores Chauncey’s journey and exploits as he climbs the ladder of success.

Risen is an enthralling book which gave me a fresh insight on a man’s personal journey to success. Additionally, there are only a few authors who write and address this kind of topic which added appeal to the book. The steady progression of the plot and the unexpected twists hooked me. The format of telling the story in narration was also effective.

I liked how the author showed Chauncey’s character development. Chauncey started as a very simple boy who only wanted to be successful. However, his past experiences and search for more knowledge and power gave birth to an entirely different person.

First, I found some missing question marks in parts where they are needed and misspelled words (groan instead of groin and caption instead of captain). It seemed like these were nothing but typographical errors so a little cleaning would help. The second bothersome thing was the prologue. I couldn’t quite connect it to the main story. I had a feeling it plays an important part. However, I found the lack of connection to the main story that it was left hanging on the back of my mind.

Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed this book. Thus, I give Risen 4 out of 4 stars. Thomas Barr Jr. did a great job in this fictional biopic and it was visible in how well-crafted this book was. I recommend this book to readers who like books tackling religion and rags-to-riches stories with a not-so-typical twist.

Risen
View: on Bookshelves

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Very well written review! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

klbradley wrote:Very well written review! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
Thank you! It's a very enjoyable book.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with intriguing character. I like reading about ambitious people and Chauncy Miller seems like a very relatable character. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Thomas Barr Jr. on such an obviously well written book.
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, kimmyschemy06. Chauncey Miller is an interesting character. I am sure you will find this book to your liking as I did.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Wonderful job on the review! The story plot is different to me. I guess I should read it. Glad that you enjoyed the book. Congratulations to the author!
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, Ashley 1820! You should read it. It's really amazing! The book is just around 80 pages so it would just take a day or two to finish reading it.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

Do we really need a success book? I know they can be helpful sometimes, but most times, all we see is the bravery and the false victories. No one Is genuinely willing to show us the cons of the many decisions they made. They always have everything well planned out.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”