Featured Review: Another Chicken Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Featured Review: Another Chicken Story

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Chicken Story" by Kenneth R. McClelland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Another Chicken Story: The Stranger Danger by Kenneth R. McClelland teaches children about the threat of being led away by someone who might not have their best interests at heart. It is an illustrated children’s book that is told completely in rhyme.

Doogie Duck tracks down clues and interviews various animals in an attempt to find his chicken friend who went missing that morning. While questioning Mr. Fox about the chicken’s disappearance, the sly animal invites Doogie Duck over for lunch and explains he would remember things more clearly at home. Seriously, would you trust a fox? As you might suspect, there is more to Mr. Fox than his friendly demeanor implies.

I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining and educational book about the perils of going with a stranger, no matter how nice and friendly they seem. Children may not always pay attention when parents discuss the subject of “stranger danger.” However, a cute, rhyming story about animals might make the issue sink in.

The book is written in a casual, conversational style. The rhyming narrative consists of four lines in each stanza, with an AABB rhyme scheme. The writing has a nice rhythm and flow, with no awkward wording as is sometimes found in rhyming stories.

The author does an effective job of comparing a fox to human strangers who offer children candy or use a ruse to get kids to come along with them. There is an easy to understand warning for children that they shouldn’t assume that strangers are nice just because they appear to be. Realistic examples are provided, such as searching for a lost dog or telling a child their mother asked the person to drive them home.

The story is illustrated by James Tangal. Considering how integral artwork is to a children’s book, I think it would have been appropriate to include his name on the cover. Instead, I had to dig for his name and found it in a small font under the book design copyright on the copyright page. Mr. Tangal certainly deserves a special mention as the illustrations are vibrant and add depth to the narrative. It’s a nice touch that Doogie Duck is dressed in Sherlock Holmes-style attire. Also, Mr. Fox is drawn exactly as I pictured him - dapper in appearance with a whiff of something slimy behind his smile. To paraphrase a common quote about pigs, you can dress up a fox, but it’s still a fox.

This book easily deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a fun, educational read with a surprise twist. Suitable for children ages 3-8, parents and teachers would find it an excellent choice for storytime. I would also recommend the book to children who are able to read beginner books at an intermediate level.

Another Chicken Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the well-written review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds very entertaining as well as educational! Thanks for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Klbradley! I really enjoyed the theme of this book and the way a valuable lesson is told in a fun way.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Great review! It sounds like a great conversation starter for parents with young children.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Great review! It sounds like a great conversation starter for parents with young children.
Thanks Rachaelamb1. I agree that it's a way for parents to start talking to their kids about stranger danger. Kids often like to reread books so I think the issue would sink in from the repetition.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another wonderful review, bookowlie! What a cute and creative way to teach children about stranger danger. It's so important, and I'm glad that there are good quality books that are accessible to children that discuss this topic.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Hsimone! It's a very entertaining story and a good way to stress an important issue to kids.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

wonderful review! congrats to the author for having such a positive review. it really sounds interesting! I feel that perfect for the kids to get such educative facts while rhyming it!fantastic. thanks to bookowlie!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Ashley and welcome to the forums. :) I agree that children usually love stories that rhyme.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I would love to read another review by you.keep up the good work!
Lifeisbutadream
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lifeisbutadream »

Thanks for your review. I love stories that help break situations down to a level for children to understand.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for that great review! I have young children and it's always great to find new books for them - especially those that teach a lesson.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Ashley, Lifeisbutadream, and Elaine! I agree it's nice when a children's book is both enjoyable and educational, especially on an important subject such as stranger danger.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review, as always! I agree with you about giving due credit to the illustrator--In children's stories, the pictures are what really make the book! My father drew the illustrations for a children's book a few years ago, and not only was his name on the cover, but the author included his picture and a short bio!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Children's Books”