Official Review: Voices In My Head by Susan Lynn Solomon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Voices In My Head by Susan Lynn Solomon

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voices In My Head" by Susan Lynn Solomon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voices in My Head is a collection of nine short stories that have a lot of variety. Main characters are male and female. The locations vary among cities and states in the USA, and one takes place in England. There are different time periods as well: one story occurs in 1804, and others are in more modern times. There are also stories that fit different genres, although many could be described as crime, thrillers, mystery and horror.

In spite of these differences, there are similarities. The characters have to confront relationships and resolve problems related to their past experiences. The common ground is memory—what is remembered has a specific effect on what needs to be solved or fixed.

Another common ground for these stories is good writing. Whether the stories are written in first or third person, both dialogue and narrative are well done. Susan Solomon seems to create sentences like a craft, and she does it in a variety of ways. Some sentences use multiple words that begin with the same letter, like “His glass grasped in both hands, he gulped a greedy swallow.” (This is similar to alliteration, but not every word begins with the same letter.) There are plenty of sentences that catch the reader’s attention. One of my favorites is from “The Holmes Society”: “At this moment, one of those pesky memories poked its nose out from behind some trees in her mental jungle.” In general, I found that the writing was well done even if the story I was reading was not one of my favorites.

For me, “Mystery of the Carousel” and “Kaddish” were the most enjoyable stories. “Mystery of the Carousel” deals with a WW1 veteran who has come back to his home town after the war and misses two friends who died during the war. I was particularly pleased with “Kaddish” because Solomon describes Jewish traditions well. This is important so that non-Jewish readers will get a good understanding of what occurs. While these stories were my favorites, I liked almost all of them. Because there is so much variety, I think that almost any reader could find a story that was entertaining.

There were some things that distracted me from a story I was reading. There were a few sentences, for example, with periods or quotation marks missing. Moriarty’s name was misspelled at one point in “The Holmes Society”. “Maggie’s End” starts in 1804, then refers to “a year ago” as 1802. These seemed to be simple typographical errors, and considering how well the stories were written in general, correcting these errors would make the stories even more impressive.

In spite of the need for some additional editing, I’m pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. In general, short stories can be the best option if a reader has only a brief time to relax with a book, and these stories do not disappoint. The variety of characters, locations, and time periods suggest that Susan Solomon has a lot of interests, and does research to make sure the stories have good factual information that supports the plots and actions. Some stories include mysterious or supernatural happenings, and I appreciated that they were more intriguing than scary. I wouldn’t be surprised if other readers enjoyed these stories as much as I did.

Voices In My Head
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review, particularly because I loved another book by this author. :) I liked your description of the stories are being more intriguing than scary as I don't like very scary books. Nice job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, particularly because I loved another book by this author. :) I liked your description of the stories are being more intriguing than scary as I don't like very scary books. Nice job!
Thanks, bookowlie! I'm interested in reading another book Susan Solomon wrote, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The book I read is called The Magic of Murder. I know the author has it free on Amazon from time to time, and I think it might have been a Book of the Day a few months ago. I loved it!
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote:The book I read is called The Magic of Murder. I know the author has it free on Amazon from time to time, and I think it might have been a Book of the Day a few months ago. I loved it!
I actually read about this book on Amazon while I was reading Voices in My Head. I think it's a good price, and I'm going to add it to my Want to Read list :D
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You might want to check the price once in a while since I think the author has made the book free for a day or two a few times in the past.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote:You might want to check the price once in a while since I think the author has made the book free for a day or two a few times in the past.
Will do--thanks for letting me know!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the great review, MsMartha!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I enjoyed reading your review! Seems like a very intriguing book. Adding to my TBR!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading the book! Thank You for the great review!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! I've read three other books by this author, and I've enjoyed all of them, so I'll have to read this one, too!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Very nice review! I've read three other books by this author, and I've enjoyed all of them, so I'll have to read this one, too!
One of my favorite things about doing reviews is discovering an author I'll read again. Glad to hear you enjoyed these books!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”