Official Review: The Game & the Challenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: The Game & the Challenge

Post by rssllue »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Game & the Challenge" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Game & The Challenge is an extremely diverse collection of thirteen short stories written by author Kim Ekemar. The genres run the gamut throughout this compilation of tales ranging from horror to tragedy, from action to intrigue and beyond. In addition to the styles of story, they also vary greatly in setting and periods of time. The collection encompasses the years from 500 BC through AD 1996 and has its happenings occurring literally all over the world. This gathering of stories definitely does not get stale or become predictable at any point throughout its length. The stories are just as engaging as they are diverse.

No matter the genre, setting or year being represented, the one thing that they all have in common is the excellent writing style of the author that is consistently showcased throughout each individual story. The same style is apparent as an undercurrent to each story even as they quite often shift in tone as the book progresses. It is indeed an impressive feat that the author has been able to pull off in this collection. I am not sure if I can remember an overall stronger book of short stories that I have ever come across prior to reading this one.

Instead of going through all of the stories, and the review potentially getting bogged down by describing all thirteen of them, I have chosen a choice few to discuss instead. The opening tale, Carved Out for an Infinite Game is a very solid opening for the book and whets the reader’s appetite for what is to come throughout all thirteen stories. It surrounds a chessboard that is initially created for a warlord ruling Cathay in 475 BC. The astoundingly talented craftsman takes almost two full years to carve a board made out of two specific tones of rosewood along with one set of pieces made from ivory and the opposing set crafted from jade of the deepest green. We then follow this chess set to Persia in AD 813, Florence in the early 16th century and finally in Buenos Aires where a German and a Russian-born Jew play for the title of world champion on the cusp of a horrific world-changing event.

My favorite story of the bunch, The Lasting Logic of a Chance Challenge takes place in a warzone between the Russians and the Chinese in the 1890s. The action takes place along the border between the two countries where both commanders find their troops in a long-standing stalemate that seems to have no end in sight. The two generals end up in a very deadly blended game of chance versus logic in which the balance of power ultimately shifts to the one who is victorious and able to survive the contest.

A third story, The Prospects of a Secure Investment follows the dealings of a slick, but small-time conman who tries for a huge score through a real estate deal. He soon finds himself swimming with the big fish and way beyond his depth. Since the story starts with him being in jail, we know that something went wrong, but finding out how and why makes for a very interesting and engaging tale.

Overall, this compilation has something for just about any reader out there as it covers so many tastes in such a myriad of ways. There is truly so much variety in this collection that it is still quite amazing to me that the author made it come together so well as a cohesive overall piece of work. Though one might not find all of the stories in the book matching up with their preferences, they will surely have quite a few that they will enjoy no matter their favorite genres.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I would easily give over half of the stories the full four stars, with none of them being less than three stars. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good, enjoyable, diverse read, which I can assume pretty much includes everybody out there.

The Game & the Challenge
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Excellent job on the review. Short stories can be brutal to review, but it seems like the author did a good job on every story. Congratulations to the author on such a good review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds very interesting :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much!

This book of stories really is a great read!

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am glad you enjoyed the collection. Thank you for the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much, gali! :tiphat:

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:Thank you very much, gali! :tiphat:
You're welcome. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

:mrgreen:

danielr4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by danielr4 »

I really enjoyed your breakdown of this book full of short stories because of your detailed and exciting review I have decided to add this book to my reading list. I am excited and looking forward to a great page turner. Thanks for the review!!!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy the stories as much as I did!

Sagacious Saheli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sagacious Saheli »

Your review is good enough to intrigue anyone to read the book as soon as possible. Specially, I have an urge to know the tricks applied in the battle of mind of two commanders and the winner of war. Hats off to your decliate way to handle the climax of short stories without revealing them. However, your reading statistics shows that you won't easily move with any simple writing so I should respect the author who has definitely earned it with his excellent work.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review! Thank you for sharing with us!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you both for your feedback on the review. It is most appreciated!

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review, rssllue! Congrats to the author on a such a positive review! :)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much, TrishaAnn!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”