Official Review: The Tractor by Steven Wilkens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Tractor by Steven Wilkens

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tractor" by Steven Wilkens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Tractor by Steven Wilkens is a Christian fiction novel.

Shortly after the death of his wife, John decides to hold a garage sale with the assistance of his daughters. His grandson, Grant, lends a helping hand while admiring John’s old, broken-down tractor. When Grant is expelled from school for two weeks, John takes him under his wing and the two decide to restore the old tractor together. During that time, they really learn about one another and begin to truly bond. They both begin to realize they are a lot more similar than they thought.

I enjoyed reading this story. It is heartwarming and sweet. I love the grandfather and grandson bonding experience. While this story focuses much on the grief that John is experiencing from losing his wife, it is also a coming of age tale as Grant matures through his interactions with his grandfather. I also appreciate the hint of romance sprinkled throughout the book. The sweet little love stories of both past and present made me smile.

This is not an action-packed novel. The plot is simple and there are no huge surprises to be found, but it is an enjoyable story nonetheless. Even though I can not say that there is anything that makes it completely unforgettable, I found myself interested throughout the whole book. I was not necessarily dying to find out what would happen next, but I did want to see what the characters would say next. This story places more emphasis on characters than on plot which is something I love, but others may not.

Unfortunately, there are a few minor grammatical errors in this book. There are not many and I did not come across any major ones so my enjoyment of the book was not hindered by this. There are also a few areas where the dialogue falls flat and situations are over explained. For instance, at one point, Grant and another person are piecing together some information which is already known by the reader. The dialogue here feels contrived rather than natural and I would have liked for the author to have come up with some other way for the characters to “discover” that information.

My rating for The Tractor is 3 out of 4 stars. The strong themes of faith, family and love are what carries this story. While I wish the book had a little more polish, it is still an enjoyable read. Anyone who is looking for a pleasant and uplifting story, should give this one a try.

The Tractor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Amazing review Rachaelamb1! The grandfather and grandson working on the tractor together is something that a lot of people can relate to. I would definitely read this book.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you! Yes family bonding moments are always wonderful! Hope you get a chance to check out the book :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Rachaelamb1! I like the idea of it being a heartwarming read. Those are nice to read sometimes. I agree with you said about polishing the read a bit. I also don't like forced or unrealistic dialogue. However, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, regardless!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you! The male bonding experience is touching and the dialogue between them is great, but there were a few areas that were not smooth. I am glad I got to read it though!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a nice and warm story about family bonding. I like books about family and this seems like something I would enjoy. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Great job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds like a nice read that would be enjoyable to take a break and wind down with. Congrats to the authror! & thank you for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Simplicity definitely doesn't mean boring! Thank you for the great review.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
LifeTimeBookAddict
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9">Needful Things</a>
Currently Reading: Crematorium
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lifetimebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LifeTimeBookAddict »

Great review, Rachaelamb1! I like that this is a Christian novel, too. The old tractor on the front cover is what drew me to reading your review, and although I don't recognize the make of that tractor, I am drawn to it because I grew up on a farm, and now tractors are monstrous, not like the ones we had on our farm. I can see how the boy would mature and grow closer to his grandfather while trying to rebuild the tractor. I can see how this would be a story more about relationships, too. There's so much history behind farming and the different equipment that goes into it. There is also danger and accidents involved and stories that are passed down with it. A lot can be learned from observing the way someone helps an older, wiser person restore something that is meaningful. It brings back my own memories, good and bad, of living on a farm, driving farm tractors and trucks, and the times that I bonded with my own father. I don't remember my grandfather because he died when I was an infant, and he was only in his late 50s. I would like to read this book someday.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great Review! I live in a small farming community so this hit home for me. Your review made it even more compelling. I will be reading this in the near future. Thank you :)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Kdonegan91 wrote:Great Review! I live in a small farming community so this hit home for me. Your review made it even more compelling. I will be reading this in the near future. Thank you :)
Come back and let us know what you think when you finish!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”