Official Review: Hello, Agnieszka by Evy Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hello, Agnieszka by Evy Journey

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hello, Agnieszka" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are there things in your past that you have never told your family? Have you had dreams deferred indefinitely? Do you ever wonder how your life would look today, if you had made just one critical decision differently? These questions and more are explored in Evy Journey's novel Hello, Agnieszka. It is the second installment in the Between Two Worlds women's fiction trilogy, following on the heels of Hello, My Love.

Agnes (born Agnieszka) Halverson is a devoted wife and mother. Her three adult children have always relied on her constant presence, her passionate piano playing, and her love for throwing weekly dinner parties. When her oldest son attempts suicide, Agnes is forced to reveal secrets from her past that have long been buried. What her children learn about her, challenges their assumptions of their family's very foundation.

This is a tale of love found, lost, then found again, but with a twist. Journey does well at presenting her readers with unexpected details and surprising conflicts in the plot. She does so while moving the story along at a nice pace. It makes for a riveting read, one that you will not want to put down until you have read the last page.

Readers who have not read Hello, My Love will still enjoy Hello, Agnieszka. Journey has written this sequel in such a way that it can stand alone, although the audience of the first book will enjoy the allusions to previous characters and events.

The story starts out being told in the third person omniscient voice, then switches to the first person voice as Agnes reveals her personal history to her family. The novel has a feel of historical fiction as Agnes describes her strict Polish Catholic upbringing in 1960's and 1970's Pennsylvania. Journey draws parallels between the relationship Agnes and Elise (Agnes's daughter) both had with their mothers.

Readers who enjoy historical fiction with romance included in the plot, will like this book. However, if you are looking for a formulaic, bodice-ripper romance novel, this is not the book for you. Yes, there are intimate scenes in the story, but Journey tells a tale that also explores complex family relationships and difficult choices that must be made in the face of painful circumstances.

Hello, Agnieszka is well edited with only 2 grammatical errors noted. I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend you read it, then look forward to the third and final book in the series.

Hello, Agnieszka
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Eatsleaves's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and memorable book. The plot is intriguing and so is the character, Agnes. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Evy Journey.

-- 22 Aug 2016, 03:29 --

Sounds like a very interesting and memorable book. The plot is intriguing and so is the character, Agnes. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Evy Journey.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you for your response, I really enjoyed this story! Agnes was one of those characters I could really relate to. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your thorough review. The story sounds intriguing with an interesting main character. I am going to take a second look at the Amazon sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”