Official Review: Ink by Zita Harrison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Ink by Zita Harrison

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ink" by Zita Harrison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ink is a memorable and touching story written by Zita Harrison.

Told in the third person perspective, the story begins with Audrey Spencer giving birth to a baby boy with a hideous birthmark covering half of his face. Audrey, an artist and a loving mother that she is, named him Ink. Her husband, Derek, however, does not share his wife’s felicity over the new addition to their family and sees only the baby as an abomination and, right then and there, starts to shirk from the responsibility of raising such a freak of nature.

Because of his enormous birthmark, Ink receives various treatments from everyone, from curiosity, to pity, to disgust and to downright hostility. He is gawked at, laughed at, sneered at, shunned and bullied. His initial indifference is eventually replaced by belligerence. His frustration over his deformity leads to acrimony which pushes people away, leaving him friendless, alone and angry with everyone and everything.

After an unfortunate incident that leaves him even more emotionally scarred than he already is, Ink decides to go away and attend Art school. There, he finally feels, if not totally accepted, at least not rejected. When a billionaire approaches him to be a model for his clothing line, Ink’s life takes a different turn. Still, all the world sees in Ink is his birthmark. It seems like there is nothing more to him than a glaring unconventional stain on his face, until he discovers another human being who suffers the same fate as his. Ink finally finds a friend who knows his pain and insecurities and he feels happy and grateful for his friendship. Unbeknownst to Ink, a poor but beautiful dancer from Paraguay endures the same discrimination and disrespect from other people but for a completely different reason, and when they meet, Ink feels something he has never felt before.

If I were to describe this book in one word, it would be intense, and I like every part of it. The author successfully brought forth an old but gnawing issue of discrimination and the ugly truth that everybody judges everybody in an attempt to overcome his/her own fears and insecurities, like how Ink was singled out by the other students because of his birthmark and how he, in turn, thought less of them because they were stupid. It shows how someone looks at someone else’s inadequacy to make him feel better about himself. In addition, the author wrote in a way that makes the reader identify with the characters and feel guilty for being pretentious and self-righteous. The character that, for me, stood out among the rest was Audrey. She was the epitome of a mother, patient, loving, understanding, compassionate, self-sacrificing, and most of all, present. She was always there for Ink, making him feel better, standing up for him, accepting him even in his most unacceptable behavior, and letting him go to find his place in the word.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy stories about self-acceptance and rising above adversity.

Ink
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good book. Is it based on a truth story?

Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Zita Harrison
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zita Harrison »

It is a combination of things from life and imagination. Thanks for asking. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Zita Harrison wrote:It is a combination of things from life and imagination. Thanks for asking. :)
Thank you! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a great book that can definitely tap into the reader's emotions. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds very interesting with important themes.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a great book that can definitely tap into the reader's emotions. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)
Thank you very much. It is a wonderful book :)

-- 19 Aug 2016, 10:23 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review! The book sounds very interesting with important themes.
Thank you very much. It is a great book and I enjoyed it immensely :)
Pinkrose353
Currently Reading: Of Faith and Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkrose353.html
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford

Post by Pinkrose353 »

You have a knack for choosing emotion-packed stories, Kimmyschemy06. :) I downloaded the book to be one of my next reads. This story also resonates with me, because I had a friend whose half face and neck had a red birthmark. She had a sweet personality that amazed me.
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Pinkrose353 wrote:You have a knack for choosing emotion-packed stories, Kimmyschemy06. :) I downloaded the book to be one of my next reads. This story also resonates with me, because I had a friend whose half face and neck had a red birthmark. She had a sweet personality that amazed me.
I think I'm kind of lucky with my choices :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”