Official Review: I am coming are you ready by Jerome Joshua

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Official Review: I am coming are you ready by Jerome Joshua

Post by srm628 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I am coming are you ready" by Jerome Joshua.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Am Coming. Are You Ready? is a book written by Jerome Joshua. This story follows a dream he had about God and how it changed his life. It talks about his Christianity. In his dream, he is presented with Jesus Christ and is permitted to have a conversation with him.

I believe it is important to mention that this is (Christian) religious book. It is almost "smack in your face" religious. The Christianity aspect is not subtle in anyway. There are quotes from the Bible and constant references to God.

Before reading the description, just based on the name, genre, and book cover, I was not expecting a religious read. However, I was not disappointed to receive one.

One thing I particularly enjoyed in the story was Joshua's use of pictures. Almost every page had at least one picture, sometimes more, relating to what was happening on that page. The pictures allow for us to actually see what is he trying to say, whether it simply be his house as he talks about being in the house or a picture of water from being in a pool. Some of the pictures were not as direct, such as including diamonds when talking about transformation. Regardless, both the pictures and his words create a clear portrait in your mind of what he is trying to convey.

In addition to pictures, Joshua also included a lot of Bible verses. Almost every page has at least one verse from Scripture, some have two, three, or even four. I have mixed feelings about all of the verses. There are points where it's good and bad.

There is no denying that the Bible verses were practically necessary. It is almost impossible to write or even speak a story about God without referencing Scripture. It adds to the author's points and explain why certain things are important. However, on the contrary, it also takes away from the story. In certain parts, the author's thoughts are broken up by the Bible verses, making it hard to keep up with the story. In short, the verse of Scripture both add and take away from the story.

Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. In my opinion, the book was well written, though there were some small mistakes but not enough that it subtracted from his tale, and provided sufficient imagery for the reader to imagine what the author is trying to portray. His writing style almost had an informal feel to me, as though he was sitting and talking to me. The story itself offers a lot of information about the Christian Religion.

I think the book would be perfect for someone who is either just starting in the Christian religious (or wants to start) or someone who already believes in God.

I recommend when you read the book, do not read it in one sitting. A book that is only 60 some pages in length is definitely tempting to read at one time, but I believe you will get a more enjoyable and meaningful read if you read one or two chapters at a time and think about what he is saying.

Maybe the book will do what Joshua promises in his Introduction, "The contents of this book will change your life forever" (xi).

I am coming are you ready
View: on Bookshelves

Like srm628's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pinkrose353
Currently Reading: Of Faith and Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkrose353.html
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Pinkrose353 »

Thank you for writing your review. When I read the title of the book I immediately assumed that it would be a Christian book talking about Jesus' return to earth.

I was disappointed that you didn't touch on any content of the book, except for mentioning pictures and Bible verses.

I think a good review should whet our appetite to read the book-- without giving away any spoilers; or tell us why it might not be worth reading. At the least it should give the author an idea if you personally liked the book and why.
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I think I see your point about the cover, it seems kind of fantastical :) My first impression when I saw the cover was that the book would be about fairies and other mythological creatures. The book sounds interesting and inspiring, and I think what adds to the appeal is his dream about Jesus. Bible verses are undoubtedly helpful but excessive use can be distracting to the reader. Good job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”