Featured Review: Bella Vita by Susan Lynn Solomon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Featured Review: Bella Vita by Susan Lynn Solomon

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bella Vita" by Susan Lynn Solomon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A man is found dead in his flaming car behind the Bella Vita hair salon, and evidence left at the scene lead the authorities to believe that a Wiccan coven might be involved. Emlyn Good, writer and faithful Bella Vita customer, hopes to get her creative juices flowing by doing some investigating of her own, and she isn't about to let the handsome Detective Roger Frye get in her way. However, Emlyn is motivated by much more than a writing deadline: the possible involvement of witches touches Emelyn on a personal level, and she wants to make certain that innocent people are not falsely accused.

A classic mystery with a supernatural twist, Bella Vita: An Emlyn Good Murder Mystery draws the reader into the fascinating world of the title character, who is a descendant of one of the victims of the Salem Witch Trials. With the aid of her ancestor's journal, a friend schooled in the art of witchcraft, and an unusually intelligent cat, Emlyn dives head-first into the peculiar circumstances surrounding this mystery.

Although only sixty-one pages in length, Bella Vita delivers a well-crafted and satisfying mystery. Light, humorous, and thoroughly engrossing, this book is perfect for both avid and reluctant readers. Susan Lynn Solomon's writing style makes the little town of Niagara Falls come alive, and populates it with characters that are surprisingly detailed for the short length of the book. Emlyn herself is a realistic protagonist who I found to be both likable and relatable.

In addition to providing an entertaining story, Bella Vita also rekindled my interest in the history of Salem, Massachusetts. Ms. Solomon provided a few interesting tidbits about the infamous witch trials that made me curious to know more, and I've spent a fair amount of time Googling certain things within the book that captured my interest. I love a good story, and I love learning new things, so I commend Ms. Solomon for letting me have both!

My absolute favorite aspect of Bella Vita is the relationship between Emlyn and Elvira, her domineering albino cat. I don't want to spoil the fun of it by providing details, but I loved the interaction between these two! Elvira is an enigmatic creature, and I do wonder if there is much more to her than meets the eye. Fortunately, Bella Vita is not the author's only story about Emlyn Good, and I'm hoping that she reveals a little more about Elvira in other books.

I found Bella Vita to be fun and entertaining, and I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars. This book will be a treat for those who enjoy mysteries, and I believe that female readers in general will relate well to Emelyn.

Bella Vita
View: on Bookshelves

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Ooooo this book sounds really good. I've always been really interested in the Salem Witch trials and reading books about them. I'm also a huge fan of mystery so the fact this book has both elements makes this a must-read for me. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

CrescentMoon wrote:Ooooo this book sounds really good. I've always been really interested in the Salem Witch trials and reading books about them. I'm also a huge fan of mystery so the fact this book has both elements makes this a must-read for me. Great review!
Thanks! I hope that you enjoy this book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Glad you enjoyed the book. I read the first book in the series, The Magic of Murder, although it was a full-length book. Like you, I became interested in looking up information about the Salem Witch trials after finishing it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! Glad you enjoyed the book. I read the first book in the series, The Magic of Murder, although it was a full-length book. Like you, I became interested in looking up information about the Salem Witch trials after finishing it.
Thanks, Bookowlie! I am reading The Magic of Murder right now!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great! I think you will enjoy The Magic of Murder very much, especially since it gives a good backstory for the series.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great! I think you will enjoy The Magic of Murder very much, especially since it gives a good backstory for the series.
So far, I am really enjoying it! I should finish the book this weekend :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! I absolutely love this concept! I've lived in Salem, MA for a few years, so this definitely has peaked my interest! I've heard of this author before actually, so I might this out. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! I absolutely love this concept! I've lived in Salem, MA for a few years, so this definitely has peaked my interest! I've heard of this author before actually, so I might this out. :)
Thank you! It must be so cool to live in Salem! I've always wanted to go there on vacation--I bet that it's a very interesting place!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Oh wow this does seem like a really interesting book. Great job on the review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Kia wrote:Oh wow this does seem like a really interesting book. Great job on the review!
Thank you! :D
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

What a very enticing review of what is apparently a very engrossing book. You definitely made it sound like a must read for mystery fans. Great job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

rssllue wrote:What a very enticing review of what is apparently a very engrossing book. You definitely made it sound like a must read for mystery fans. Great job!
Thank you so much! I always appreciate your feedback!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Awesome review! Adding to my TBR! I just love these types of mystery novels!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Awesome review! Adding to my TBR! I just love these types of mystery novels!
Thank you, TrishAnn! I hope you enjoy the book! :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”