Official Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Thin Places by Diane Owens Prettyman

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thin Places" by Diane Owens Prettyman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With themes of faith, trust, and friendship, Diane Owens Prettyman tells the tale of two very different people that come together in a unique scenario in her C/T/M/H novel, Thin Places.

Being in jail for three years can drastically change a person. When Finn Tully is finally able to see a new future ahead of him, to be free, a cell mate named Calvary Thomas on death row sends him on a mission. A mission to seek Calvary's daughter, Chloe, and proclaim his innocence to her.

Chloe Gallagher (actual last name: Thomas) has been scrounging to maintain the only possession she has of her father, his boat, the Perpetuity. On this ship, Chloe is the captain and in charge. However, desperate times call for desperate measures. This strong-willed woman gets mixed up with some risky business, and now it is up to Chloe to lean on to Finn to help her sort everything out.

Told in the perspectives of both Finn and Chloe, the reader is taken through Finn's life in Texas, then Chloe's life in Washington. Though it seemed to have taken a while before the two protagonists meet, once they did, the story became a quicker read.

Unfortunately, there were parts of the novel that I did not enjoy. For instance, I feel the main genre of this book can be misleading. Yes, there are some scenes that involve crime and action, but I did not have that feeling of suspense, engrossment, or the desire to know more. There is some romance woven in the simple plot and being a romance fan, I felt it was forced and too coincidental in this read. In addition, the protagonist, Finn, was not one that I liked; I felt he was plain, clingy, and uninteresting.

There were some punctuational errors, including punctuation marks missing in a couple of instances. Then, there were a few word misuses. For instance, 'dose' instead of doze' and using 'and' instead of 'an'. I also found it distracting when the ship's name, Perpetuity, was italicized throughout most of the book, but not on a few particular pages. Perhaps another run through would catch these few mistakes.

Tweaking on the pacing and another edit would go a long way with Thin Places. Due to the reasons above, I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. For those who do like a light C/T/M/H read and do not mind some romance, you may find this enjoyable. However, for those looking for a more suspenseful read, you may want to pass on this.

Thin Places
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I saw this book on the list, but wasn't sure if it was for me. I am sorry you didn't find it enjoyable as you thought you would.

Thank you on the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yeah, I saw it on the list for a couple of weeks too and wanted to like it. Oh well. At least it was a fairly quick read and it looks there are others we did enjoy it.

Thank you! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an honest, insightful review. I also saw this book on the review list, but was put off by the prison angle. I know what you mean about "wanting to like it." Sometimes when I see a book on the list for a few weeks, it grows on me and I become more interested in reading it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie. I think that's what happened to me. I saw it on the list for a few weeks and it kind of grew on me sounding more and more interesting. I'm glad I gave it a try, though, to at least curb my curiosity. :)
Heidi

bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you for the honest and detailed review. It seems like the book was trying to be too many genre's at once and as a result lost focus. I hope your next read is better.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bluemel4! This a good point - "the book was trying to be too many genre's at once". That might have been part of the problem for me. I hope I enjoy my next one, too! It seems promising! :)
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie. I think that's what happened to me. I saw it on the list for a few weeks and it kind of grew on me sounding more and more interesting. I'm glad I gave it a try, though, to at least curb my curiosity. :)
You gave lots of good, constructive criticism that the author can use in the future.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie. I appreciate your kind words. I hope the author sees it that way.
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The premise seems very realistic, as I can see a man on death row wanting to let his daughter know that he is innocent. Telling the story through Finn's and Chloes' separate perspectives before they meet sounds like a good way for readers to get to know each character in depth.

I just noticed that this book was reviewed by two different members. It's always interesting to hear what different people's opinions of a book. Congratulations to the author for being showcased as the Book of the Day!
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I really appreciate this review. I was disappointed with the book when I read the sample, and my feelings seemed to be on par with some of your comments. It was a technical error that poked the first definite hole in my this-is-going-to-be-a-great-book bubble, and the characters and couldn't intrigue me enough to draw me back in. From your review, it sounds like you had some similar disappointments.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:The premise seems very realistic, as I can see a man on death row wanting to let his daughter know that he is innocent. Telling the story through Finn's and Chloes' separate perspectives before they meet sounds like a good way for readers to get to know each character in depth.

I just noticed that this book was reviewed by two different members. It's always interesting to hear what different people's opinions of a book. Congratulations to the author for being showcased as the Book of the Day!
I didn't realize it was already reviewed as well. It is very interesting to see how people have different perspectives in their reads. There were also plenty of Amazon customers who enjoyed the read. It just wasn't for me, but I'm glad there are others that enjoyed it!

Definitely, congratulations to the author for being featured today!

-- 13 Aug 2016, 22:56 --
L_Therese wrote:I really appreciate this review. I was disappointed with the book when I read the sample, and my feelings seemed to be on par with some of your comments. It was a technical error that poked the first definite hole in my this-is-going-to-be-a-great-book bubble, and the characters and couldn't intrigue me enough to draw me back in. From your review, it sounds like you had some similar disappointments.
Thank you, L_Therese. It definitely seems like a book that one can either love or not. Even though I am glad that there are others who have enjoyed the book (and potentially even more), it always nice to know that your opinions are shared with others. Thank you for your thoughts.
Heidi

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. I read the sample and I found it interesting enough. However, it is not really my type of genre so I think it is not for me. Great job on the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, kimmyschemy06! I found the beginning interesting as well before deciding on this book. It's when Finn leaves prison and things start to unfold is what I didn't like. Thank you for thoughts. :)
Heidi

Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I love this book review. Not exactly for what you had to say, although that was interesting too, but for the fact you only gave it 2 stars. As a new member it's nice to know people aren't just giving 4 stars to be nice.

-- 14 Aug 2016, 14:54 --

I love this book review. Not exactly for what you had to say, although that was interesting too, but for the fact you only gave it 2 stars. As a new member it's nice to know people aren't just giving 4 stars to be nice.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”