What's the funniest book you've ever read?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LauraH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LauraH »

I laughed out loud to "Catch" by Will Leitch
Doc

Post by Doc »

Both A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain were really funny. I love his style of writing and think he is a funny guy in general. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max was funny but not laugh out loud funny, the same can be said for Youth in Revolt by C. D. Payne.

Bottom line: I need to read more books with comedic value so this thread will be of use.
giorgia

Post by giorgia »

the Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson is the funniest one i have ever read...
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Kosmex5 wrote:
mohses wrote:the Diceman, by luke rhinehardt. a truely dispicable novel that trampled on every social and moral taboo, but i found it to be rather funny, be warned its not for the faint hearted. actually some chapters will cuase extreme offence
According to Wikipidia it was "banned in several countries." I guess I have to read it now.
I will be picking it up too. I love offensive books! haha.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

Wow...I can't think of any funny books I've read. I just usually read the dramatic stuff. I need to lighten up a bit, LOL!

However, there were some moments in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson that were amusing, and the Harry Potter books are so full of wit (especially on the twins part) that one cannot help but laugh.
nursegela

Post by nursegela »

Chuck Palahniuk has made me laugh, he's pretty outrageous
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

The funniest book I've ever read was "Slam" by Nick Hornby. It wasn't like it was hilarous or anyhing like that, it just had some parts thats were entertaining. I'm not really into funny books, I'm more into deep novels that talk about the real world and how people go through with it.
Sumytra

Post by Sumytra »

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole is the funniest book I've ever read. Since the author killed himself, it's the only thing he wrote. I also like Christopher Moore. He is consistently irreverent like Monty Python.
cameron333

Post by cameron333 »

My dad says the "Phules" series is pretty funny. "Phules army', Phule me twice,' etc..."
Lainey1978

Post by Lainey1978 »

I was surprised by how funny I found Bridget Jones's Diary, because I didn't think the movie was that great. But I was reading it in bed and my husband was like, "What's so funny?"
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

Going Bovine by Libba Bray was hilarious! The funniest novel I've read in years. I highly recommend that book.

Someone mentioned Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing; yes, that play is delightfully funny, and so is The Taming of the Shrew; however, I wouldn't recommend the later if you're a hardcore feminist.
colaroid

Post by colaroid »

The Red Dwarf Omnibus-I just wish more people had read it
K M Britt

Post by K M Britt »

I don't normally read much sci-fi. I prefer mysteries. But Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold popped into my mind when I saw this topic. It almost made me have an accident. :oops: I have a quirky sense of humor though. :lol:
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

I need to read lighter stuff I think - Bill Bryson always makes me laugh esp notes from a big country.

I also laughed alot at a book called 'are you experienced' this was a book which came free with a magazine once which I gave a chance. I really laughed alot then passed it to my husband who also really enjoyed it.
alimena

Post by alimena »

no exactly a book but a story inside of "La Palabra del Mudo" from Julio Ramón Rybeiro, it was called "Tristes Querellas en la Vieja Quinta" , and even though it has a bittersweet end, it was incredible funny, I laughed a lot :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”