Official Review: Destiny Comes with Strings Attached

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Destiny Comes with Strings Attached

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destiny Comes with Strings Attached" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Destiny Comes with Strings Attached by Kim Ekemar is a collection of 12 stories that explore different aspects of life, various cultures, and especially destiny (or perhaps fate in some cases).

I enjoyed reading the stories in this book. There are, of course, some that stand out more than others. My favorite is the story titled “The Curse”. It is set in a little village on the island of Corsica. It tells of a series of events that occur when a woman casts a curse upon the man responsible for her husband and son's death. The story, while simple, ends with a clever twist. The author incorporates twists into several of his other stories as well.

I also really enjoyed “The Eyewash Experience”. This story is about a man who is traveling the Caribbean when he is hired to help one of the islands with tourism. He soon finds out that everything is not as it appears to be. This story is a little more exciting than the others and includes some interesting concepts that I can not go into detail about because of spoilers.

There is one more story that I would like to mention and that is the first one titled, “Homage to a Man of Letters”. Unfortunately, I had difficulty getting through this story. It is twice as long as the other stories and becomes repetitive after a while. On the plus side, I do think the story is cleverly written. I thoroughly enjoyed all the word play that is incorporated into this story. I just wish it was a little shorter.

I love the way the author includes different cultures and historical references into his stories. They are executed very well and it is easy to imagine yourself in that time and place. I was quite surprised that even though the stories take place in different times and places, the author's style of writing is still recognizable. It goes to show that the author is very skilled in his craft.

One thing I didn't like about this collection is that there are very few likable characters. Even though the characters are written well, it is hard to connect or care about them because most of them are selfish or corrupt. I personally like characters that I can root for and I did not find much of that in this book.

I give Destiny Comes with Strings Attached a solid 3 out of 4 stars. It is a good collection, but I could not fully enjoy the characters which is a crucial part of a book in my opinion. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about different cultures or historical fiction.

Destiny Comes with Strings Attached
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Are there some of the 12 that you liked reading about, while others you would have prefered to skip?
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Yes, but I find that to be common among a collection of stories. Overall, it is a strong collection, but there are some that get lost in the midst of so many stories.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I can understand that. Either way, it's a nice review, thanks for posting it! :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting collection. I just finished a book by Kim Ekemar a couple of weeks ago and I like it a lot. He seems to be fond of creating unlikable characters, like he is kind of exposing the dark side of a human being :) 'The Curse' seems like an interesting story, with a creepy title :) Great job on the review.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting collection. I just finished a book by Kim Ekemar a couple of weeks ago and I like it a lot. He seems to be fond of creating unlikable characters, like he is kind of exposing the dark side of a human being :) 'The Curse' seems like an interesting story, with a creepy title :) Great job on the review.
Yeah, The Curse is a great story!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”