Official Review: Graveyard Grapevine by Kim Ekemar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Graveyard Grapevine by Kim Ekemar

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Graveyard Grapevine" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Graveyard Grapevines by Kim Ekemar is a collection of eleven short stories all presenting unique perspectives on the most mysterious, sobering, terrifying, and universal subject: death. Each story addresses this topic from a different situation. Settings are often in diverse countries, and characters represent many separate walks of life. There are Malaysian rice farmers, Swiss bankers, Swedish businessmen, Tibetan monks, Nazi commanders, and Russian nobility, among others. Since death is universal, the stories also span the globe.

Each of these short stories also communicates a very unique concept. Death plays a variety of roles in the narratives. It isn't always the enemy or even always the end of the story. It can be seduction, relief, defeat, karma, freedom, failure, victory, or routine. Sometimes death is to be feared and dreaded, and sometimes there are much more terrifying prospects in life from which death is an escape. Just as in the real world life and death are unique to the individual, so also in these stories the individual meets death in a unique way.

I found these stories artfully done. As a general rule, I tend to shy away from the gruesome and the horrific, but the stories in this collection weren't excessively macabre or graphic. There were certainly parts that were emotionally difficult to read, but the whole was tasteful. I wouldn't call this book suitable for children, but Graveyard Grapevine falls firmly in an "other fiction" genre rather than "thriller" or "horror". I found the stories thought-provoking rather than flinch-inducing.

We live in a world where the miracle of instant communication exposes us to death and suffering at every turn. Mass shootings become merely statistics, and natural disasters barely register to many people anymore. In such a culture, it is regrettably easy to become jaded and forget the true impact of a single death. Graveyard Grapevine helps its reader see death on an individual basis. In Tarot cards, the death card often means an important change. This book helps the reader view death in this way. Life changes through death, whether that is one person moving on to the afterlife/reincarnation/void (you choose) or the impact of that one person's death on the friends, family, and other acquaintances they/he/she leaves behind. Death is a powerful concept, and this book will help readers remember how to respect it.

I am always thrilled when I can rate a book 4 out of 4 stars. Kim Ekemar's Graveyard Grapevine collection was a powerful and fascinating read. After I had finished the book, I tried to think back and pick a favorite story, but they were all so different and so well written that I couldn't decide on the best. I would recommend this book to any mature reader. Every person can relate in some way to this book, and I think everyone benefits by taking a little time to think soberly about a tough topic. If you are looking for a more serious read that will inspire your thoughts and help you appreciate the struggles and hardships of individuals across time and space, Graveyard Grapevine might be exactly the book you need.

Graveyard Grapevine
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

Thank you for your wonderful review, L_Therese! I especially appreciate that you find these stories artfully done, and that the whole was tasteful. Death is obviously not an easy subject to write about.

I think you hit it spot on when you mention the variety of settings and times in history, and the many characters from different walks of life. On purpose I tried to vary these short stories as much as possible from all points of view, without deviating from the theme they have in common.

In my book the theme of death in its various shapes is, as the introductory text states: "Conventionally, there is a moment when life ends and death occurs. However, on occasion this moment is less than clear, and when the case in question takes on a new life."

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully the mature readers you recommend it to will read first your review and then my book.

All the best,

Kim Ekemar
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! Sounds like one great book. I hope I get the chance to read it one of these days. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Kim Ekemar on such an obviously well written book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! I like that you mentioned that the stories are thoughtful-provoking rather than "flinch-inducing" (love that term). I initially was put off by the title, but am going to take a second look at this book.

Congrats to the author on received a glowing review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Great review! I too try to stray away from more graphic books. This collection sounds very intriguing. I might have to add this one to my list of books to read.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! I like that you mentioned that the stories are thoughtful-provoking rather than "flinch-inducing" (love that term). I initially was put off by the title, but am going to take a second look at this book.

Congrats to the author on received a glowing review.
I completely understand what you mean when you say you were a bit put off by the title. When I was selecting a book, the title and cover were not appealing, but the description was compelling, so I took the chance. As you know from the review, that chance really paid off for me! The old maxim rang true: you can't judge this book by its cover.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

For some reason, I don't pay too much attention to e-book covers, at least not as much as traditional books. :)

By the way, I am pretty sure the author mentioned this book in his Guest Article (Author Articles forum) about the way he pulls a story together.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”