The Girls by Emma Cline

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
makenzie_ward
Currently Reading: We Could Be Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 6

The Girls by Emma Cline

Post by makenzie_ward »

First time author, Emma Cline, stunned with her novel, The Girls. Once I started, I couldn't stop reading Cline's insightful look at cults, how they lure people in and how dangerous they can become. By following the journey of Evie Boyd, Cline took a psychological look at how people can become ensnared by cults, and the long term impacts that those experiences can have on a person. For a first time author, I was completely amazed and pleasantly surprised at the intricate details and descriptive language Cline uses to tell the story of Evie Boyd.
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

I almost bought this book from the Book of the Month Club - and now I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't! I thought it sounded so interesting, and so different, from what I normally read. That's what both drew me to it and prevented me from getting it. I might have to add it to a later box though. Especially after reading your review, I think it's a must-have for my list!
makenzie_ward
Currently Reading: We Could Be Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by makenzie_ward »

Definitely check it out when you get a chance! It's 100% worth it.
BookWormBri
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormbri.html

Post by BookWormBri »

This book was unfortunately a little difficult to get into but I was surprised at how I felt about it once I finished.

We are taken down memory lane through a 40ish year old Evie Boyd as she reminisces her time spent in the summer of 1969 with a group of hippies whom she's just happy to be around because she thinks they accept her. As a 14 year old girl who is having a hard time understanding her role in life and what the point of everything is, she finds Susanne and feels as if she's found her place. The story seems to be loosely based on the Manson Family but told through Evie as an outsider. She isn't as much a part of the cult as she's hoped and the girl she thinks loves her turns out to be nothing that she thought.

I felt this book was incredibly difficult to read in the beginning. She definitely tries a little too hard and over describes things to the point of confusion at times. However, all around, I enjoyed the story. The characters were relatable. Evie's teenage angst and inability to find herself. Evie's mother who stays with her husband far longer than she should have and then trying to still be a woman while raising a teenager alone.

I would give this book 2 out of 4 stars. It was a compelling story once I was able to get past the nonsensical writing. But also really attracted my depressed side with the way Evie seems to have spent most of her life still being that 14 year old girl who never felt included, wishing for her time back at "the ranch". And I really enjoyed the trip into the late 60s and the nolstalgia created in the story.
Seanzil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seanzil »

Can even explain what this book did to me while reading it. If you still haven’t read the book you have to!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”