Official Review: Sarah's Heart and Passion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Official Review: Sarah's Heart and Passion

Post by ChrisKauf »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sarah's Heart and Passion" by Ginger Simpson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sarah’s Heart and Passion by Ginger Simpson is “A Western Historical Romance” and also a story of survival and finding one’s way in the world.

Sarah Collins’ life is turned upside down when her parents perish in an epidemic. The banker tells her he will not foreclose on the property if she agrees to marry him. She does not find this to be a suitable solution so she sells all of her personal belongings and joins a wagon train headed for California. The wagon train is ambushed by Indians while on the prairie fare from any towns. Sarah and Molly, who is badly wounded, are the sole survivors. How will they be able to survive on their own? Will they both survive long enough to reach civilization again? Will a rescuer familiar to the area come along to save their lives and guide them to safety?

Sarah is the main character in the story and well developed. There are several other notable characters but I don’t want to give too much of the story away. Life on the trail has been difficult for Sarah before the massacre. Sarah is a fighter though and proves it throughout the story. She is not one to back down from any challenge no matter how big. The author does a great job of putting challenges in front of her throughout the story and showing how Sarah wavers, at times, about how to confront them or whether to walk away. There is a surprise twist as the story goes on but again if I say more it will ruin it.

I did like this story and give it a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I liked all of the characters and felt even the not so likable ones were well developed and described. Their actions showed their true feelings and made them likable or not. Some I immediately did not trust. I wanted to cry with Sarah when she was mistreated or hurt by the actions of others; the writer helped me to feel her pain through her descriptive words. The surprise plot twist was very nicely done and while it was quite a surprise it worked really well for the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction with some romance added. Be aware that the description of what Sarah experiences after the massacre is not pleasant as one certainly would not be in real life.

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Sarah's Heart and Passion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChrisKauf's review? Post a comment saying so!

-- 25 Jun 2016, 10:48 --

Opps! Got myself confused. I do write reviews for a couple of publishers and added the disclaimer not thinking. I received this book through online book club.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Great review! This seems like a great book. It's awesome that it had you so emotionally involved!
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

Thanks for the review! I agree, it's always impressive when an author can pull you into a story enough to get you emotionally involved.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I, basically, like Western historical fiction, but 'Western historical romance' will do :) I read the entire 'Wagons West Series' by Dana Fuller Ross and this book kind of reminds me of that series. I love western historical stories with Indians and cowboys. But, I also know that some of them can be descriptively violent. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Ginger Simpson.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”