Sookie Stackhouse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smblomker
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Favorite Book: so far all of the house of night series
Currently Reading: beautiful creatures
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3117

Re: Sookie Stackhouse

Post by Smblomker »

So far I have read six of the books. I have to say that the books are better then the series. Their worth your time if your into the supernatural stuff.
When a good book captures me then, I know I've found happiness.
Schmunzelmonster

Post by Schmunzelmonster »

Annaintheworks wrote:Hi guys - any feedback on the other Charlaine Harris series yet? I enjoyed Shakespeare's Landlord but wondering what others thought.
Looking forward to the new Sookie book, of course.
Might re-read (audiobooks, so re-listen?) to the old ones in the meantime.

Go Team Eric!
@annaintheworks: I don't know if you are still intersted as I just found this forum recently. I listened to the first 4 Shakespeare Audiobooks and I enjoyed them. To me they are not in the same league as Sookie Stackhouse but entertaining nonetheless. Just one warning, the books are very dark and can be depressing. I only read/listen to them if I don't feel vulnerable, otherwise I think they could really tear me down. How Lilly handles her past is admirable, most people might have given up in her situation. It's nice to see how she slowly learns to trust again and tries to live a normal life, although her dark past is onmipresent.

-- 28 May 2012, 15:01 --

I just finished "Deadlocked" and don't know what to think of it. It got pretty bad reviews, but I kind of liked it. I missed Sookie (book Sookie, don't care for TB Sookie too much) and am happy that she still deals with all the crazy in her life without losing her intergity. I really do wish for a happy ending for her, though I know I am probably not going to get it :-(

I am sad that I 'll have to wait another year or so for the next book and even sadder that it will be the last one.

I would love to hear your opinion on the book.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Psh, just read the last book last week. So upset i wanted to strangle someone. So disapointed in the True Blood ending Mrs. H gave us.. Total crap. :cry:
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
jendhancock23

Post by jendhancock23 »

Is it just me or have the last two or three books in the series really decreased in quality? Most of the book is spent recapping/describing again the past books and characters, as if the reader started reading the series at Book 10. I have read all of the books, and Deadlocked (the latest) just made me feel sorry for Sookie and her empty life.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Right? I absolutely agree with you. The first books were great because they were so descriptive and in sookies head and really into her thinking. But the last few books have just sunk incredibly in my mind. Also there were so any characters i couldnt remember at the beginning of the last book that i had to read the last few books to figure out who everyone was. She didnt give any explaination on alot of the characters. She lost me after so mant books. The tv series lost me too. Disappointing.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

I think the problem comes down to the fact that Charlaine Harris feels compelled to churn out a book every year. There was definitely a decline with the last few books. I didn't enjoy Deadlocked very much, but at least Ms. Harris recognizes that people are becoming disinterested. Dead Ever After coming out next year will be the last Sookie book.
JaCo

Post by JaCo »

I have one that I haven't started to read, yet! It has a good title to make you buy it!
Krobert1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krobert1.html

Post by Krobert1 »

I absolutely adore the Sookie series, but I agree with the decline. It's does feel like the books are now being forced. She may be running out of new ideas. That possibility I find troubling because I love the characters and her writing in general.

Even so, I think I will continue to read the new ones in hope.
melissa44

Post by melissa44 »

mylene wrote:Hello... i just want to know if Sookie Stackhouse is ok and not a waste of time.. Thanks
the show is great but i love the books better try one u will like them
twinbabies2000
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinbabies2000.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by twinbabies2000 »

I've read most of the stackhouse series... still have a few to go and have watched some of the HBO series. The books are awesome and sent me on a reading spree. The series is entertaining, but not nearly as good as the books.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
Stellabelle87

Post by Stellabelle87 »

Definitely read the Sookie Stackhouse series. I watched the TV show first (very unlike me) and it inspired me to read the books. They are a little campy, but definitely worth it! Don't compare to the tv show though, they are a different type of entertainment, at least in my opinion. I've read the whole series, and I would do it again!
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Can somebody please give me a list of the name of the books in this series and the order they're in?
I love True Blood, i'd really like to read this series. Are the books very long?
chillylily2008

Post by chillylily2008 »

I have been wanting to read them but the cost more then I like to spend on my kndle
mama2cj

Post by mama2cj »

MelMariah wrote:Can somebody please give me a list of the name of the books in this series and the order they're in?
I love True Blood, i'd really like to read this series. Are the books very long?
There are 12 books out with the final book scheduled for release in May 2013. There are also several novellas and short stories featuring Sookie. I found the complete list on the Charlaine Harris wikipedia page. Here are just the books:

Dead Until Dark (May 2001)
Living Dead in Dallas (March 2002)
Club Dead (May 2003)
Dead to the World (May 2004)
Dead as a Doornail (May 2005)
Definitely Dead (May 2006)
All Together Dead (May 2007)
From Dead to Worse (May 2008)
Dead and Gone (May 2009)
Dead in the Family (May 2010)
Dead Reckoning (May 2011)
Dead Ever After (May 2013)
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

mama2cj wrote:
MelMariah wrote:Can somebody please give me a list of the name of the books in this series and the order they're in?
There are 12 books out with the final book scheduled for release in May 2013. There are also several novellas and short stories featuring Sookie. I found the complete list on the Charlaine Harris wikipedia page. Here are just the books:

Dead Until Dark (May 2001)
Living Dead in Dallas (March 2002)
Club Dead (May 2003)
Dead to the World (May 2004)
Dead as a Doornail (May 2005)
Definitely Dead (May 2006)
All Together Dead (May 2007)
From Dead to Worse (May 2008)
Dead and Gone (May 2009)
Dead in the Family (May 2010)
Dead Reckoning (May 2011)
Dead Ever After (May 2013)