Official Review: Mays Landing by J.C. Mercer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Mays Landing by J.C. Mercer

Post by Swiftmover07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mays Landing" by J.C. Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parkhill Mays is a third-year medical school dropout from a prestigious university who wakes up from a failed suicide attempt in Bellevue Hospital. There, he meets Thomas Bonicelli (whom everyone calls T-Bone), a self-described “human lab rat.” T-Bone helps Mays escape the hospital and take him under his wing. Living beneath the streets of the city in the “Bat Cave,” they make ends meet by selling sperm and other bodily fluids and parts for product and pharmaceutical trials, culminating in an extended Phase Three clinical trial for a new anti-depressant wonder drug. All the while, Mays struggles with his mental illness and with trying to find a place between his new underground existence and the “topside” world he left, struggling with love and various degrees of “The Rage” in this young man’s life as he tries to find a meaning to it all.

Mays Landing is an amazing book by J.C. Mercer. Mercer takes a very original story and executes it perfectly. This book is not full of unnecessary content or dialogue. Everything in this book seems to have meaning; it all furthers the plot and conveys the story the author wants to get across to the reader. While I realize the summary to this book is short and not very telling, don’t let that fool you.

Mercer spins a tale that will draw the reader in and won’t let go until you have finished every word. My favorite part of Mays Landing was how realistic everything is. From the people underground that seem to live and speak and entirely different language than the “topside” world, to the “topside” people who are oblivious to how they live their lives by “the man” and are “corporate zombies.”

The book appears to be free of grammatical and spelling errors; the main and supporting characters are clearly defined. There also seemed to be a lot of research done to get proper facts and statistics to support the writing of this book. For example, the book is told in Mays’s perspective and when he uses a term he learned while in medical school, the reader gets a full explanation of the term. There are also various facts used about New York City, as well.

I have to rate Mays Landing 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book that keeps the reader enthralled until the very end. There is wit, romance, hardships, friendships and heartbreak. I would recommend this book to anyone, though there are only a few mild moments that might be too much for the younger crowd; I think 16+ would be great. I guarantee readers will not be disappointed in the time they invest in this book.

Mays Landing
View: on Bookshelves

Like Swiftmover07's review? Post a comment saying so!
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The book sounds fantastic and without revealing much about the story you've managed to get me interested to read it. Great review! Congrats to the author for receiving such glowing recommendation. :)
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Nice review! This book sounds like a great read. I also appreciate a book that is well-researched!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Shelle wrote:Nice review! This book sounds like a great read. I also appreciate a book that is well-researched!
it is a great read! It is definitely different and original. Unlike anything i had read before
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I like your point that the book isn't bogged down by unnecessary content or dialogue. I am going to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:

Post by Swiftmover07 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice review! I like your point that the book isn't bogged down by unnecessary content or dialogue. I am going to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
yeah, I liked it too. To me, it seemed like everything had a meaning. The author did a great job on something quite original
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting! I also like it when a book isn't bogged down by unnecessary content. Nice review!

Congratulations to the author on the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Ya know, the plot of this story doesn't really sound like something I would enjoy, but I do appreciate it when the story isn't bogged down by unnecessary information. I love concise plots like that, when everything has a purpose and everything happens for a reason. Awesome that you picked that up.
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review!
gurlgamer05
Currently Reading: Harry Potter & The Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by gurlgamer05 »

A wonder drug plus all kinds of interesting characters such as topside people. Sounds right up my alley. I read the sample and couldn't wait to read more!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Swiftmover07! This sounds like a fascinating book. I also love when everyone and everything has a purpose in a book. I find it also interesting that the author researched the content to help write this novel.

Congratulations to the author for receiving such a glowing review! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review. I have read this one as well and enjoyed it.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sudip-47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sudip-47 »

In the book, Parkhill Mays struggles to find a place between his new underground existence and the "topside" world he left, finding love and fighting his own inner demons in his quest for peace and meaning in his life. Good read. Congrats to the author. Good review too
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Great review. I appreciate a book that isn't overly ponderous so that's good.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
derekstvp
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derekstvp.html

Post by derekstvp »

Great review!! Congratulations @swiftmover07.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”