Official Review: The Garden of Earthly Delights

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Official Review: The Garden of Earthly Delights

Post by Insomniac07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Robert Dodds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Garden of Earthly Delights by Robert Dodds is a historical fiction novel set in the year 1490. It follows the life of the acclaimed painter Jerome Van Aachen, more popularly known as Hieronymus Bosch, the master painter of the city of Den Bosch in the Duchy of Brabant (i.e., in present-day Netherlands)

Unlike the stereotypical impoverished artist, Jerome was successful in his time. He was held in high regard both in Den Bosch and by his patrons in Rome. However, success does not guarantee a happy life. Jerome and his wife Aleyt were unable to conceive a child despite being married for several years. For this reason, he rarely liked to stay at home. Aleyt was left with just Mary, her servant girl, to keep her company. This distance only increased the strain on their already weakening relationship. On the other hand was Hameel. He was Jerome's best friend and protege. Even so, he was envious of the fame and acclaim Jerome often received. Additionally, the Fifteenth Century was a period of plagues and Papal Inquisitions, both of which had an impact on the lives of these people.

Initially, I had thought this would be a novel about Jerome and his paintings. Instead, the story is from the point-of-view of six different characters. Their lives converge a variety of ways creating interesting plot twists. The author portrays these characters in a very realistic manner. Their decisions and actions are all backed by sound logic and a believable motive. Each person has their own faults such as pride, jealousy, lust, anger or greed. Dodd’s writing is poetic and dramatic in equal measure. There is tension in the air from the very first paragraph and it continues to escalate as the story progresses. His descriptions are vivid and it paints a beautiful picture.

The story took hold of me and kept me in its grip until the very last page. I rooted and prayed for Jerome, Aleyt , Mary, and Hameel. I even sympathized with the Abbess and Jacomo who are the ‘bad guys’. However, although this was such a gripping and fascinating tale, it was a slow read for me. This isn’t a book that one can gobble up within a day and move on to another one in a few minutes. The book is slow because it takes a while to utterly captivate the readers. The author takes his time in introducing and setting up all the main characters so that readers are cheering for them as the conflict begins to occur.

I cannot attest to the historical accuracy of the novel as my research on the internet did not yield much result. The only difference I found was with Aleyt's age. Wikipedia says she was slightly older than Jerome. However in this story, he is about ten years her senior. Nevertheless, since that did not detract anything from the original story, I’d still rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to fans of medieval or historical fiction.

The Garden of Earthly Delights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insomniac07's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good, though I am not sure the book is for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the great review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

gali wrote:Sounds good, though I am not sure the book is for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the great review. :)
Thank you for commenting gali! :)
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I love historical fiction and would likely really enjoy this one.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! I love historical fiction and would likely really enjoy this one.
Thanks! If you do read it, let me know your thoughts on the book. :lol:
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

This sounds like such a great read, thank you for your review! I'll have to add this to my "to read" list :)
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

Kia wrote:This sounds like such a great read, thank you for your review! I'll have to add this to my "to read" list :)
Glad you liked it! Hope you like the book too. :D
Doctor91011
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Doctor91011 »

This sounds like a great read! I love historical fiction, especially works which demonstrate those universal human emotions in a faraway time or place; it's so easy to forget that the people in our history books were, of course, people. It sounds like you really connected with the characters, and that's always a great place to start!
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:

Post by Insomniac07 »

Doctor91011 wrote:This sounds like a great read! I love historical fiction, especially works which demonstrate those universal human emotions in a faraway time or place; it's so easy to forget that the people in our history books were, of course, people. It sounds like you really connected with the characters, and that's always a great place to start!
Thanks! I loved the book. The characters come to life. I hope u enjoy this book as much as I did, if u decide to read it. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”