Official Review: Anything for My Bubela by Geoff Sturtevant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Anything for My Bubela by Geoff Sturtevant

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anything for My Bubela" by Geoff Sturtevant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apparently all it takes to get me excited for a book is a phrase like "[f]ind out to what extent his doting mother, Edna, will go to protect her degenerate bubela from the Mafia." That's directly from the Amazon page for Anything for My Bubela, a hilarious 52 page mobster book by Geoff Sturtevant. As a warning to those easily offended by light racist remarks, crudeness or some gore (things you'd expect out of a mob story), this may not be for you.

"Slippery" Sol has a major gambling problem. In fact, the only problem worse than his gambling is the huge debt he owes to the Gambinos. As a last resort, he's stuck going to his mom's place, the only place he considers safe. Edna is the stereotypical overprotective, caring mom and she resolves to help her son out of his trouble by getting a loan at the bank. When even that doesn't work out she does what any loving mom would do - protect her bubela at any cost!

In the meantime, John Gotti is working secretly with Sal "Sammy the Bull" Gravano to take over the Gambino family. Yes it's that John Gotti, yes it's that Gambino family and YES this works hilariously with the story! Gotti and Gravano have some messed up but hilarious conversations and Gotti never hesitates to mock Gravano's "mob talk" - things like saying "boids" instead of "birds" or "coppers" instead of "cops".

The main story is just as hysterical as well. I honestly laughed out loud so many times reading this book that my throat hurt before I was done. I even had to wipe tears from my eyes repeatedly! Sol plays a gentleman in distress and gambler well, but Edna is a gem and her stereotypical ways are relatable for just about anyone with an overly concerned mom. I'd happily pay to see the movie if this was made into one and I'd snag the DVD the day it released!

It should go without saying, but of course I'll say it anyway - Anything for My Bubela by Geoff Sturtevant gets a solid 4 out of 4 stars from me. In fact, I'd give it 5/5, 10/10 and 100/100. The only complaint I can muster about it is that I want so much more of it! Again, as with most any mobster-themed book there's some racism and gore and even crude discussion, so I can't suggest it for kids or those who are offended by those things. Everyone else should absolutely grab a copy!

Anything for My Bubela
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Gsturt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gsturt »

Thanks a million, buddy! Does anyone have an emoticon for a really excited Jewish boy?
You guys are terrific!
-Geoff
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, CataclysmicKnight! I recently finished reading Anything for My Bubela and I absolutely enjoyed it as well! You captured everything I felt while reading. I agree that Edna is the gem of this story. She is, by far, my favorite character! Let's be honest, she made the book! Lastly, I also agree with your statement, "The only complaint I can muster about it is that I want so much more of it!" - I felt the same way!

Congratulations, Mr. Geoff Sturtevant for receiving such a glowing review and for writing such an entertaining story! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”