Official Review: The Great Pretender by Robert R Randall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Great Pretender by Robert R Randall

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Great Pretender" by Robert R Randall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: The Great Pretender: Confessions of a Semi-Incorrigible Southern Catholic Boy by Robert R. Randall

It might be surprising to find out that some “other fiction” novels can tell us how children grow up. Studying child development and psychology can give you answers, but for some of us a coming-of-age novel is the best—and most entertaining--source of information. If written well, this kind of novel will introduce you to the main character’s family and friends, and reveal likes, dislikes, problems, and solutions.

Robert R. Randall’s The Great Pretender: Confessions of a Semi-Incorrigible Southern Catholic Boy is a well-written and very enjoyable novel. Johnny Malloy (friends call him JohnnyMalloy) tells his story in first-person, and both dialogue and narrative are used to let the reader know who Johnny is, what he does, and how he finds himself.

Johnny has many relatives, and as he grows up, he learns that some of them have issues that are problematic. His mother, Babs, is a religious Catholic who is convinced that nuns helped her recover from sad experiences in her own childhood. She had a difficult first marriage and divorced her husband, which resulted in her excommunication. As he grows older and learns more about his parents’ backgrounds, Johnny finds it confusing that his mother wants to raise him as a good Catholic in spite of the negative things that happened in her life. He also begins to realize that many relatives and friends, including his father and stepfather, have drinking issues. Teenage Johnny finds that alcohol is a great tool for relaxing and partying. He also begins to understand how alcohol causes severe problems. Of course that’s for other people, not for himself. Last but not least, Johnny learns some positive things, like what his talents are and how he can use them to his advantage.

Johnny shares his thoughts about Catholicism, and while I can understand that some readers might consider this to be negative, I felt that his experiences and concerns were much like those I’ve heard about from friends who were trying to decide about their religion. There are also several escapades about sexual encounters. Given the ages and situations, these are about how kids get interested and learn about sex, and not stories that are meant to be highly negative or disturbing. These may not be things that everyone would discuss with friends, but Randall uses humor and compassion well when writing about them.

I try to wait until I’ve finished reading a book to rate it, so I can consider all the positive and negative things about the story and how well it was written. While I was reading The Great Pretender, I broke my own rules and considered it to be 4 out of 4 stars from the beginning. So many things were done well, including characterization and narrative. Reality and humor can be a great combination, and it is in this book. Robert Randall was able to describe a lot about the 1940s and 1950s, and did it without using exceptionally long or detailed information that can be distracting. As a result, an older reader can be very comfortable and familiar with the background, a younger reader would find it enlightening, and both can enjoy the story.

The Great Pretender
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Excellent review! This sounds like a great story! For some reason, I really enjoy coming-of-age stories that take place in the South. I can also relate to some of the issues faced by the main character, so I'll have to get my hands on this one!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

This is a great story! It's been a little while since I read it, but I still think about some of the chapters and characters. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! It's always a ringing endorsement when a reader is still thinking about the story and characters long after finishing the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote:Nice review! It's always a ringing endorsement when a reader is still thinking about the story and characters long after finishing the book.
I agree--and for those of us who read a lot, I don't think that ongoing thought happens very often. Thanks, bookowlie!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a wonderful and insightful review, MsMartha! Coming-of-age stories are definitely a great way to learn a lot about a child's/teenager's perspective, so that's a very good point to bring up. Also, the fact that you were able to almost feel what rating this book deserved from the beginning must make it a really good read! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this book so much! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review indeed. I really like your conversational style as you relate the book to us through your viewpoint. Congratulations to the author on receiving such glowing praise.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Thanks, hsimone and rssllue!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MsMartha wrote:Thanks, hsimone and rssllue!
:tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your enthusiasm for this book shows throughout your review. This is a very informative review and makes this story sound like one that I would like to add to my reading list, and recommend to other people and their children who are around the age of the characters in the story. Congratulations to the author for writing a story that seems like it can be very helpful to young people, and maybe older people as well.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Amheiser wrote:Your enthusiasm for this book shows throughout your review. This is a very informative review and makes this story sound like one that I would like to add to my reading list, and recommend to other people and their children who are around the age of the characters in the story. Congratulations to the author for writing a story that seems like it can be very helpful to young people, and maybe older people as well.
Thanks, Amheiser! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”