Official Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Provoked To Anger" by Cheray Gardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Provoked To Anger is a Christian novel written by Cheray Gardison.

Told in alternating points of view of the characters, the book is about a group of young people whose lives are, in one way or another, interconnected.

Rejected by a girl and neglected by his mother, 15-year old Jeremy decides to end his life by shooting himself in the face. His friends, Zek and J.R. call for help and Jeremy is immediately taken to the hospital. While his physical body is in coma, Jeremy finds himself in hell where he comes face to face with demons and other monstrous creatures.

Meanwhile, J.R.’s sister, Madison, is facing 20 hours of community service for tying up and almost beating her best friend’s brother, to death.

The book is a profound and enlightening story that features both the overt and covert behavior of teenagers. It describes the moral values, or lack thereof, of the youth today and the factors involved in the decline or total absence of those values. It depicts the roles parents are supposed to play in shaping the behavior of their children, roles that some parents fail to perform that leads to sad and unnecessary destruction of young lives.

The author fearlessly points out the mistakes and shortcomings of most parents who are either too busy or too self-absorbed to even notice their children’s cry for help. The book is a successful incorporation of fiction and Christian values told in an entertaining, informative, inspiring and motivating way.

The author creates realistic and relatable characters. Most prominent among them are: Marissa, the girl who rejects Jeremy and whose mother chooses her boyfriend over her daughter; Jeremy, the boy who does not know his father and whose mother cares very little about her son; Linda, Jeremy’s mother, whose dream is to get married and have a beautiful family and Demero, the counselor whose calling is to help out young people to find their way to God.

I can easily point out the parts I like most about this book. First is in the beauty parlor, when one of the clients shares how she handles the issue of dating with her teenage daughter. Second is in church, where the minister expounds on the story of the ‘bleeding woman’ in the gospel of Mark. He explains how and why the woman was healed and then stresses the power of the woman’s faith. Finally, in the last chapter, Pastor Rhodes discusses how and why children turn out bad.

Needless to say, this is one great and amazing book to read. However, there are too many errors in the entire book which include typos, misspelled words, incorrect use of possessive nouns and pronouns, homonyms and even apostrophe. Still, the benefits of the story outweigh the errors, which can be fixed by thorough editing.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all parents who care about their children. However, the book contains scenes, including sexual activities, molestation and suicide, which are not suitable for young readers.

Provoked To Anger
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
cherayg
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by cherayg »

Yeah! Thank you kimmyschemy for your honesty. I do believe what you have found to be grammatical errors thoughout the book are really what we know now as urban slang words and phrases. Working in ministry for years with the youth and being close to my own, l've learned that their words and phrases don't necessarily follow the rules of the approved grammer. Lol. But as long as the flow of reading was understood, I want to keep it in the language that they speak today to better help get the points across and allow them to relate.
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

Great review! I am a fan of Christian Fiction and this book sounds very interesting. I am also a school teacher and it sounds like the book touches on the same types of things that teachers are dealing with in kids these days. I hope to have the chance to read it soon!
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

cherayg wrote:Yeah! Thank you kimmyschemy for your honesty. I do believe what you have found to be grammatical errors thoughout the book are really what we know now as urban slang words and phrases. Working in ministry for years with the youth and being close to my own, l've learned that their words and phrases don't necessarily follow the rules of the approved grammer. Lol. But as long as the flow of reading was understood, I want to keep it in the language that they speak today to better help get the points across and allow them to relate.
Hi! I love your book and I do believe others will, too. I can't remember how many times I cried. I am particularly overwhelmed by the part when the story of the 'bleeding woman' was expounded and I even asked myself if I have that much faith. Congratulations on your book and I hope more people, especially parents, will read it. Good luck! :)

-- 20 May 2016, 03:41 --
Brittster wrote:Great review! I am a fan of Christian Fiction and this book sounds very interesting. I am also a school teacher and it sounds like the book touches on the same types of things that teachers are dealing with in kids these days. I hope to have the chance to read it soon!
In that case, this is perfect for you as you deal with kids regularly. I also hope you get the chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Vermont Reviews says

Excellent Review. Well written. Keep up the great work. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I enjoyed your thoughtful review. I was debating on reading this book a while back so I'm kinda jealous that it turned out to be so good ;) I will have to add it to my to-read list now!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review! The story sounds interesting with a good mix of a creative plot and Christian themes. Congrats to the author on receiving a positive review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
cherayg

Post by cherayg »

Thanks! I pray that it reaches the hands of as many parents and youth leaders as possible. Our children are in major trouble and it's going to take us to change our focus in order to save the next generation.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Vermont Reviews says

Excellent Review. Well written. Keep up the great work. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.
Than you very much!

-- 21 May 2016, 20:57 --
Rachaelamb1 wrote:I enjoyed your thoughtful review. I was debating on reading this book a while back so I'm kinda jealous that it turned out to be so good ;) I will have to add it to my to-read list now!
Thank you. Well, then, better luck next time :wink:

-- 21 May 2016, 20:59 --
bookowlie wrote:Nice, balanced review! The story sounds interesting with a good mix of a creative plot and Christian themes. Congrats to the author on receiving a positive review!
Thank you. It is very interesting and, undoubtedly, helpful to anyone who would read it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, what a powerful book! This line in particular grabbed my attention:
It depicts the roles parents are supposed to play in shaping the behavior of their children, roles that some parents fail to perform that leads to sad and unnecessary destruction of young lives.
Parents do have a vital role in how their children grow up and what kind of people they come out to be. This book sounds like such an amazing read. Thank you for the great review, kimmyschemy06, and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

What a great review! It's always a gamble for an author to reach into the more taboo topics of life. For this author to successfully write about Christianity and parenting faults in the same book successfully is no easy task. Congratulations to the author on a fantastic review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kia wrote:What a great review! It's always a gamble for an author to reach into the more taboo topics of life. For this author to successfully write about Christianity and parenting faults in the same book successfully is no easy task. Congratulations to the author on a fantastic review!
Thank you very much. It is a fantastic book.
cherayg

Post by cherayg »

Thank you Kia. It is surely a topic that needs deep and consistent discussion. This next generation is lost and lack the right values. These are the future leaders of the world. If we don't catch them now we are going to be in big trouble!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”