Official Review: The Vampire Gaytooth by Michael John

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: The Vampire Gaytooth by Michael John

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Vampire Gaytooth" by Michael John.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marine biologist Jack Cordell couldn’t have known how his life was about to change when Rodger introduced himself at a low-key party one evening. Very soon, Jack learns that his new acquaintance is not only a homosexual, Muslim, African-American man with a yearning for a dental appointment but also a 648 year-old vampire. As their friendship develops, both Jack and the reader come to understand more about Rodger Gaytooth and the way he perceives and interacts with the world around him. The Vampire Gaytooth: A Most Unusual Vampire by Michael John is an imaginative, eye-opening, and humorous episode in the long long life of Rodger Gaytooth, vampire.

As might be expected of an entity unaffected by passing time and therefore mostly unaccountable to human authorities, Rodger Gaytooth functions differently in his daily life than do ordinary humans. This contrast not only helps make the story more interesting, but it also provides food for thought for the reader. The people and situations facing Rodger Gaytooth force him to reveal his notions of right and wrong and act according to his ideas of justice and suitable retribution. Additionally, the author provides backstories for many of the characters that cross paths with Rodger Gaytooth, thereby helping the reader come to his or her own conclusions about the morality of Rodger Gaytooth’s ethic and corresponding course of action. For a reader hoping to think deeply, this might be fascinating. For a reader hoping to laugh, the situations and the vampire’s responses might still serve the purpose.

Another important theme that the reader will find in this book is the contrast of religion and faith. Featured prominently in the story are Islam and Catholicism. While neither religion is wholly condemned, Gaytooth encounters leaders or practitioners that embody and enact extremely repugnant ideals as well as some who practice humility and compassion from both of these religious traditions. In this way, the book seems to describe a contrast between the sometimes corrupt organization of religion and the purer faith that inspires its true adherents. Through the use of baldly stereotypical constructs, the author uses Gaytooth as a lens and an agent to provoke the reader to deeper thought.

I’ve focused a lot on how The Vampire Gaytooth can make a reader think deeply, and there’s still much more that could be noted on that account. However, I would be remiss if I failed to mention that this book is also simply amusing. The narrative is clever, and the dialogue is witty. The book moves along at a good clip. There is a fair amount of tongue in cheek humor as the author uses pop culture constructs to mock pop culture. The characters can be ridiculous, but they are never absurdly over the top. In brief, this book is enjoyable.

By now, readers of this review probably already anticipate that I rate The Vampire Gaytooth 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book that can make the reader think or provoke interesting discussion with friends or book buddies, and it is also a book that can make the reader laugh. It’s appeal would extend both to serious and casual readers, and given the prevalence of vampires in popular fiction since Anne Rice, this book can probably also bridge age groups without difficulty.

The Vampire Gaytooth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Michael Francis John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Francis John »

Thank you for this review and your commentary. Very pleased that you enjoyed the read. Best wishes...Mike-J
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent review. Well written. I think that you do a really great job of writing up an excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Great review! this book sounds quite interesting and also funny. I also enjoy vampire books so I'll add this one to my list as well
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

How interesting. The name "Gaytooth" makes me chuckle, but I am fascinated by vampire lore. This is definitely one I will keep in mind for later!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This books sounds quite fascinating. I just reviewed another book by this same author and have to agree with you about his writing style!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

Interesting review on a book that makes one question people's assumptions of what is right or wrong. A funny mix I believe.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A homosexual, Muslim, African-American vampire? Sounds like an unusual vampire and unusual tale. It is great that the narrative is clever, the dialogue is witty, and the pace is good. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Thanks for the review.
A 648 year old amusing vampire whose perception of right and wrong is hilarious.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! In addition to being a lover of all things paranormal, I do like a book that makes me think and the fact that this vampire tale uses humor to make threaded laugh only adds to its appeal. This is definitely going to the top of my TBR. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A story that involves a homosexual, Muslim, African-American 648 year-old male vampire and features Islam and Catholicism? Definitely sounds like a unique read! I love how there is a good mix of humor and times of deep thinking. It sounds like a great read! Thank you for your insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I can definitely see where the name comes from. Sounds interesting. I don't think it's for me, but I appreciate your review! Very good!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I didn't really think about the name at first. I thought this would just be like any usual vampire books. But after reading your review, I think this would be one hilarious yet thought-provoking story. I think the name is very suitable. Thanks for the great review.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I'm not so much into vampire books because most of them are obvious and alike but this one seems different and interesting, I would read the book following your review, I also understand that it is also funny and I haven't noticed you talking about any errors. Nice review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This book sounds so interesting. I'll admit, the title threw me off. This isn't what I was expecting. I love that it doesn't sound like it's as much about being a vampire as it is about a man who has observed human nature for so long and is still coming to terms with his own sense of morality. I love books about someone coming to terms with human nature, and I've never heard of it done this way in a vampire book. I can't recall one that incorporates religion like this anyways. I am definitely intrigued. I'm adding this to my to-read list! Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”