Official Review: Nine Lives by Erin Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Official Review: Nine Lives by Erin Lee

Post by ChrisKauf »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nine Lives" by Erin Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nine Lives by Erin Lee explores what happens when a family is torn apart by accusations of child abuse. This book is a fictional story of how all of the family members are affected in their own personal ways. It also deals with the reactions of people in the family's church and community.

Laina and Faith Nelson have grown up with their seven siblings; the oldest three no longer live at home. Their parents have always been strict and have a strong Catholic faith. Laina and Faith take teenage rebellion to whole new level when they tell everyone their father has touched them inappropriately. This causes many rifts between the family members as they take sides. Of course all of the local child protective agencies get involved and each of them has an opinion on who is telling the truth also. Is it true that children never lie about such a thing? Will the wife defend her husband no matter what? This story is an interesting journey to find the truth and healing, not just for members of the family.

This book is at times difficult to read as it deals with very sensitive subject matter. Erin Lee presents the story in a clear, factual manner. I like the way the story is told from the standpoint of the different characters so you get insight into their deeper feelings. Part of me felt sad for Laina and Faith but when they didn’t seem want to help themselves and acted like spoiled brats I felt angry at them. This book brought out strong emotions in me. I could understand the Mother’s frustration with the girls and with the system that didn’t seem to understand the challenges she was facing in trying to do what’s best for the whole family.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing style helps you to get to know the characters. Her style is not predictable; you cannot be sure how a character will react to a situation or what might trigger them to share a piece of truth as they see it so there are surprises along the journey. It made me want to keep reading to learn what would happen next. I think this book will appeal to anyone who is interested in reading about family relationships and how they can be destroyed and possibly restored. There are discussion questions at the end that would make this a good book for a group read; I think it would be a great way for people to share and explore their feelings about family structures and abusive relationships. This is the second book I have read by Erin Lee and I will be looking for more.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Nine Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChrisKauf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Interesting point, "The writing style helps you to get to know the characters." That's interesting, and this sounds like a good read!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book about family. However, I'm not very comfortable reading about child abuse, or any kind of abuse for that matter. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Erin Lee.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”