Official Review: Captain Jolly's Do Over by J R Ingrisano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Official Review: Captain Jolly's Do Over by J R Ingrisano

Post by ChrisKauf »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Captain Jolly's Do Over" by J R Ingrisano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Captain Jolly’s Do Over by J. R. Ingrisano is a fictional story that reads like a memoir. It deals with issues of family and other personal relationships.

What happens when your life implodes and everything you thought you could count on is gone? Pick up and move to an island, of course! The story is told in the first person through the eyes of Captain Jolly. He has bought a catamaran and takes tourists on snorkeling expeditions. Evenings are spent at the Sunset Bar with many “ex-pats”, who have come to the island for a variety of reasons, and the storyline revolves around Jolly’s interactions with them. Some are funny, some sad, and some a little scary. Life is never as simple as it seems and I believe Jolly learns this and more as his story progresses.

I liked the premise of the story; Jolly is living on the island and wondering what happened to what he thought he wanted out of life. While telling his story Jolly goes back and forth between the life and pain he left behind in the states and his current life on the island. I found this style at times confusing and he often repeated himself. There is quite a cast of characters, some whose story is known and others remain a mystery. Most of them you don’t really get to know; much like it might be in reality I suppose. We only see the other characters through the eyes of Captain Jolly unless he shares an anecdote they have shared with him. I felt like I was listening to someone telling the story of their life and at times getting off track as one can do in person. All issues are not tied up at the end and a new scenario is hinted at so I’m pretty sure we can expect another book from this author.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The bits of confusing storyline are not enough to take away from the overall book. The author’s descriptions of the island life and the characters give you a good sense of feeling like you are there. I felt I knew Jolly and some of the other characters well and understood their motives. I did enjoy reading the book and will read the sequel I believe is coming. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a quick read about life in general and island life in particular. There are many insights into the human experience to be gained while keeping the tone light.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Captain Jolly's Do Over
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like ChrisKauf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Great review! It makes me want to read the book. And who doesn't love a good island story anyway? Sounds like the perfect read to mentally escape the scorching summer heat already enveloping us here.

-- May 15th, 2016, 3:23 pm --

Great review! It makes me want to read the book. And who doesn't love a good island story anyway? Sounds like the perfect read to mentally escape the scorching summer heat already enveloping us here.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Glad to see that you were still able to give a great review score despite minor flaws. Nice review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”