Official Review: An Obstinate Vanity by Keddie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: An Obstinate Vanity by Keddie Hughes

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Obstinate Vanity" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like Beth, the lead character, and nearly every other character in An Obstinate Vanity by Keddie Hughes, this is a book that's full of depth and surprises. From the cover and description, this was clearly going to be a romance novel, but it's so much more! There's romance, sure, but's that's just the tip of the iceberg here. There's a first time for everything; while I've never given a review score immediately in a review, this has become one of my favorite books and that definitely makes it worth a 4 out of 4 star rating in my book.

Beth is coming back from a week off due to a nasty flu, but the day before she comes back she wakes up with half of her face paralyzed, diagnosed as Bell's Palsy. It's typically temporary, and things look hopeful, but in the meantime random strangers have no issue openly looking at her like she's a monster because of it. Beth is a tough, powerful woman (at least on the outside), so she doesn't hesitate to return to work anyway. Her public position has recently been made even more public, however, with a newspaper article declaring she's paid even more than the Prime Minister. She's the chief executive of The Agency, and she's juggling some very delicate and important tasks - she's trying to convince Rubikon to open a big research and development plant there in Scotland that would bring all sorts of jobs along with it. At the same time, she's trying to help Scotland's future with the Young Entrepreneur of the Year award, a competition that works to find the most feasible new business idea and then gives them £25,000 and backs them with marketing and business planning. If she can't pull off something awesome on both fronts, her reputation may be ruined forever.

Dougie is a laid-back oyster farmer with a son named Benjy (that spelling is awesome, by the way!). Benjy is one of the six finalists for the competition, wanting to commercially grow kelp, something Dougie isn't exactly fond of since kelp is smelly and gross compared to the elegant, refined oysters he sells. It isn't until after Benjy gives his presentation and wins the competition that Beth discovers he's the son of Dougie, someone she dated over 20 years ago, and now there's the concern over how that will look if it becomes public as well.

The book alternates between Beth and Dougie, and both are great characters. Beth is a fantastic female role model - she's tough, she gets things done and she's driven not by greed or power but to try to make Scotland a better place. Deep down though she's hurt by people's comments and stares, she's sensitive and human, and she worries that her Bell's Palsy isn't one of the temporary cases. Her brother is a mess, her fellow higher-ups with The Agency can be jerks (although they too can be surprising and complex) and a homeless girl named Nine that she takes in seems to have a lot of surprises, although she's hilarious and edgy and the friendship the two share is one of the best parts of the book. On the other side, Dougie is a peaceful guy, he's happy with keeping things the same and doesn't feel the need to fix what isn't broken. Oyster farming isn't easy at all, though, and Dougie faces his own issues with the farm, with his son's business ventures and with the sketchy Mr. Takashama who has all sorts of plans for Benjy's business.

Beth and Dougie have a complex relationship as well. Throughout the story we're shown memories from both points of view that show just how deep and serious things were, but when it came down to it Beth knew that Dougie's lack of motivation would be an anchor for her and she needed to find herself. It's one of many pieces of the book that's both deep and realistic, and it leads to an absolutely hilarious, awful reunion between the two.

It's these realistic, humorous, genuine relationships and interactions, endless difficulties to overcome and solid endings that make the book so wonderful, and I'd definitely recommend it to everyone with the caveat that there's a bit of bad language used and barely-graphic sex scenes. The numerous challenges faced keep the book going nonstop and the well-developed characters will stick around well after the book ends. The closest I found to a flaw in the book was that the book could have used a touch of editing, I counted around a dozen grammatical errors.

An Obstinate Vanity
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

This is a great review. I'll definitely be reading to see how this relationship develops and how Beth grows as an individual in the book.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Congrats on the book of the day! I downloaded the book, your review makes me eager to read it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love how you point out that you give the rating at the beginning! I am the same way! When I love a book so much, I just want to shout the rating right from the beginning instead of waiting until the end like I usually do. That made me laugh.

Glad to see such a great review from a trust-worthy reviewer. It sounds like quite a winner. I downloaded it from the BOTD, so here's to hoping I like it as much as you did!
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review!
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

Thank you for a great review. Your enthusiasm, especially in giving a review score right from the beginning, has made me very curious. I am a sucker for romance novels, but that you stated that it is a romance and so much more, just made this book my next book to read!
Also congratz to the author for a great review.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Congratulations to the author for such a glowing review. It sounds like the book is a good one for all of those who enjoy romance writing while not sacrificing a good plot!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Bought this book a while ago. I love books that are full of depth and surprises.

Congratulations to the author for on the good review and on being Book of the Day! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Can't wait to read this!! This looks like a good tale, which is rare these days.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Excellent review! Your enthusiasm jumps off the page as you describe the book!
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

great review, got the book and plan on reading it very soon!!!
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

so excited to have read this review and thank you for you book :)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review. Well written.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Great review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Great review! I can tell you really loved it. It sounds like the book really touches on what it means to be human, with all of our faults and foibles. Looking forward to reading it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”