Official Review: Paraclete's Promise by Ennis C. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Official Review: Paraclete's Promise by Ennis C. Smith

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paraclete's Promise" by Ennis C. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the age of video games, Ennis C. Smith attempts to excite kids to explore the outdoor adventures. His book Paraclete's Promise is an effort in this direction. Tim, a 9-year-old boy, is very annoyed when his parents refuse his request to play video games. They tell him to use his imagination and play with a big box. Reluctantly, he proceeds to follow his parents' instructions. He converts the box into a cave and dozes off inside it. To his surprise, he opens his eyes to find himself inside a submarine with another kid named Johan. According to Johan, they are on a treasure hunt. Although Tim is utterly perplexed about this new situation, he knows how to operate each equipment, and this fact confuses him, further. In this complex time, the quotes of the Bible come to his aid. He remembers how his father shared many preachings from the Bible, and these memories help him get over the fear. He reminds himself that this is all a dream and not a reality. Well, that's what he thinks until the thin line between his assumption and reality becomes very hard to see.

The synopsis of the book reminded me of the movie, Jumanji, and I thought that Tim would find a game that would take him to many adventures. But, to my relief, this was not a replica of that movie. The author uses his imagination to take the readers into many action-filled ventures. The inclusion of various quotes from the Bible is refreshing and inspiring. His narrative style of writing keeps the interest of a reader elevated, throughout the read. There is always an element of surprise to intrigue its readers.

Today, parents are having a hard time pushing their kids out of the couch and into the world of outdoor games; the author has captured this complex issue in the first chapter, beautifully. It is very close to reality and almost every parent would relate to it. The lack of using one's own imagination to create a real adventurous game is evident all around us, and it is quite frustrating to see the kids spending all their time in front of a virtual world. The author has used this frustration and converted it into something useful and encouraging. The concept of the Paraclete was quite fascinating, and I learned something new.

The story progresses smoothly and keeps the readers wondering whether it would all turn out to be a dream or not. The characters are written beautifully. I would have liked a little clarity into their physical appearances to sketch a clear picture in my head, though. My favorite character is Tim's dad. He finds playful ways to transfer his faith into his son. He answers Tim's innocent questions with full honesty and patience. Although he ensures that Tim has an environment of love, he maintains the discipline, too. Other characters, his mom, his siblings, and his acquaintances in his adventurous journey, display the author's excellent writing talent.

The climax of the book is a little confusing, and therefore, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to the parents who are looking for a motivational read for their kids of age between 8 to 14. This book would serve two purposes for their children:
1. It would motivate them to use their imagination.
2. Their curiosity to know more about the Bible would increase.

Paraclete's Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Anki_Real_Reviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”