Official Review: The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surrogate" by Dimitri Markov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov is a thrilling novel set in the medical world. This book is about Marina Bonnaserra; a woman in her thirties who, after realizing her relationship with a man named Charlie Kincaid is going nowhere, decides to add meaning to her life by having a child. Knowing that Charlie does not want to have kids, she decides to break up with him and undergoes IVF to possibly become a mother all by herself. What follows is a thoroughly detailed and well written story depicting the process of IVF and both the physical and emotional complications. Throughout this process, we learn about the gray area of hospital procedures and what might have been done with Marina's leftover ova without her permission. We are also taken into Marina’s past to get a better understanding of what drives her decision to have a child.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the way the author made sure to explain everything in such an easy way that even people who do not know much about the science behind having a baby are able to understand everything perfectly. I also loved that I actually got to learn new things while reading this intriguing novel.

The plot and the characters were both incredibly well written. The author did a wonderful job of making sure all the events of the book are interconnected in a way that will keep you guessing until the end. Dimitri Markov also interwove the lives of the characters of the book in such an unbelievable way that will have you confused as to who to trust and who is telling the truth right up until the very end. What was truly remarkable was the way Dimitri created each and every character, you can definitely tell how much time he spent making sure even the minor characters had an alluring background story and a compelling personality.

Some of the things I did not like about the book were that there were a few grammatical errors throughout the book and a few times where it seems that the author used the wrong word by accident. The second thing I did not entirely love is the length of the book. Towards the second half of the book I felt like there was the same information that was being repeated multiple times to different characters. So although the information was new to the characters, as the reader it was a little tiresome having to read the same thing over and over again. For these two reasons I decided to only give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes to read books with complex and mysterious plots. This book will keep you guessing until the very last page. I guarantee you will also continue to think about this story even after you are done reading it. The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov is one book I will not soon forget.

The Surrogate
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds very interesting and informative. I think I'm going to like this book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Good job on the review.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thanks Kimmy, and yeah it was fascinating :) I hope you enjoy it when you read it.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Great review! Sounds like a story I would enjoy. I agree, perhaps the author could have chosen a different way to let the reader know that the other characters were being brought up to speed on the information without making the reader see the same material more than once. Thanks for the honesty.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thank you :) It really was a pleasurable read, I hope people get a chance to read it so I can discuss the plot. :)
Dimitri Markov
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dimitri Markov »

Thanks for the review and helpful comments. I have corrected spelling and grammatical errors, removed typos and deleted redundancies wherever I found them. Surprising how they crept in even after so many readings, re-readings and helpful feedback from early readers.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

Wow, it seems like a great book. However, I don't think I will be interested in it. Good job on the review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thank you Clifora :)
Dimitri Markov
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dimitri Markov »

Thanks for the positive review, and I am glad that you enjoyed reading The Surrogate. It is the (fictional story) of a nurse's journey dealing with her past trauma, her desperate turn to achieve fulfillment thru in vitro fertilization, and the story of her fertilized ova. The book has been professionally edited and reviewed again, and a few repeats and wrong words have been corrected. One of the benefits of buying an Amazon Kindle e-book is that you can set your Kindle to automatically update the book whenever corrected versions are released.
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Dimitri Markov wrote:Thanks for the positive review, and I am glad that you enjoyed reading The Surrogate. It is the (fictional story) of a nurse's journey dealing with her past trauma, her desperate turn to achieve fulfillment thru in vitro fertilization, and the story of her fertilized ova. The book has been professionally edited and reviewed again, and a few repeats and wrong words have been corrected. One of the benefits of buying an Amazon Kindle e-book is that you can set your Kindle to automatically update the book whenever corrected versions are released.
It was really a pleasure to read :D and I had no idea you could automatically update a book to the corrected version, that's so cool.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”