On the Hillwilla Road by Melanie Ford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

On the Hillwilla Road by Melanie Ford

Post by ChrisKauf »

This is the fallow-up to Hillwilla. While the first book will give background information it it not necessary to read it first in order to enjoy this book.

On the Hillwilla Road by Melanie Ford is the follow up to Hillwilla. It shows how persons of very diverse backgrounds and experiences can come together and learn to need, support, and depend on each other.

Beatrice Desmond is a middle aged transplant to West Virginia from Boston. Clara Buckhalter is a teenaged native Seneca County girl. The unlikely pair now lives together on Beatrice’s small farm. Beatrice is trying to fit in without insulting the locals and Clara is trying to fit in a new school and keeping a secret of why she is living with Beatrice instead of her parents. Beatrice inherited some temperamental llamas when her best friend passed away and they figure prominently in the storyline. Clara and Beatrice are the main characters in this story which revolves around their interactions with each other as well as all the other characters in their lives. Their household would not be complete without Ralph, the English setter who has decided that he is the protector of his humans and the llamas. Other characters in the book are the entire Buckhalter clan- Clara’s divorced parents, uncles, aunt, and new love interests of both parents; friends that Clara makes at her new school, and friends of Beatrice including the rich and dashing neighbor, Tanner Fordyce.

I did not read the first book but there was enough background information in this book that I don’t think it took away anything from enjoying this book. The characters are very realistically portrayed and some I feel I have met in person. I could relate to Beatrice’s feelings of whether or not she has done the right thing in taking Clara in and whether she is acting as a good role model. Clara faces the usual problems of adolescence in addition to the problems that caused her to be living away from either of her parents. Clara meets two friends at school who have backgrounds they do not want made public, like her. They bond and eventually share some of their secrets and hopes and dreams. I was rooting for all three of them to find their way. There are sad moments, misunderstandings, and hilarious times, just like in real life, throughout the story. All of them are handled well without seeming cliché or too sentimental. There is never a dull moment and I found it difficult to put this book down once I started reading it.

Irate this book 4 out of 4stars. I believe it will appeal to a wide audience as it deals with many issues in a very accepting way.

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”