Official Review: The Band 4 The Air We Breathe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Band 4 The Air We Breathe

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Band 4 The Air We Breathe" by Marguerite Nardone Gruen.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've never been as torn about reviewing a book as I am right now with Marguerite Nardone Gruen's The Band 4: The Air We Breathe. It's a book that hardly has a shred of an antagonistic force in it, and while it's so successful with the love side of things it's just as weak with giving the characters unique personalities. The book is almost entirely free of sex - it's only stated that it happened ("then they made love"), making the book safe for any age, but unfortunately that same level of descriptiveness is the standard for most of the book. It's also just under 300 pages, and while I never felt bored or impatient for the book to end, I very rarely felt too compelled to continue reading either. Despite this, however, even reading the (very aptly chosen) title of the book once I've finished it gives me that "awwww" feeling.

Marguerite (the character, not the author) is on vacation in London shortly after the death of her parents. As she sits in a coffee shop she feels the distress a man at another table is feeling, and so she orders an identical coffee to what he's drinking (but decaf!) and puts it in front of him, taking his caffeinated drink away from him. He's worried she's a fan of his at first, but loosens up when she simply goes back to her table and leaves him alone. Chase, the man at the other table, is actually a member of an insanely popular band - the Band 4 (essentially along the lines of 1D but even bigger). He's wanting out of the band, though, just depressed and generally out of it. Her mere presence and their inability to let each other go so shortly after meeting saves them both from all the woes they've ever felt, however, and their love would make Prince Charming and Cinderella feel like a casual fling by comparison.

One of the things that makes this story so unique is that all of this happens in the first chapter (out of 75!) and she even has a key to his place by then. By the time the 3rd chapter ends they're engaged, and by the end of the 8th they're married. Their relationship is magical, the closest they have to an issue when they get together is Peter - the Band 4's manager - being a bit suspicious of her since he's such a famous man. He quickly sees he has no reason to worry, though, and the almost-instant change in Chase is living proof that what they share is real. The day after they meet, for example, the bandmates assumed he'd be telling them he quits, but instead he walks in with a huge smile on his face and coffees for everyone. She even gets along with the band members and their girlfriends immediately, the lot of them acting like a big, close family.

The rest of the story explores their life together. Chase goes on tour shortly after their wedding, and repeatedly throughout the book, either using a webcam or visiting to keep in touch. Their almost supernatural ability to feel one another is so strong they'll even awaken from sleep if the other feels distressed. There are lots of ups and a few downs, but mostly the book simply tells what happens with them.

The issues I have with the book, however, are all related to just how the story is told. The characters are very weak personality-wise - often the whole group of characters laughs at the same time, says the same thing and does the same thing (something like "they all said they wanted more" or "they all sat down and talked", etc). While I feel Marguerite and Chase have some personality, no one else does; all of the other 15+ characters are interchangeable and I would never notice the difference between them. They can be funny, they can be sweet, they can be relatable but almost never in their own, unique way. Almost everyone either laughs or cries nonstop throughout the book, and while there are certainly touching and funny moments, it has the "canned laughter in a sitcom" effect - because everyone laughs or cries so much it detracts from the genuine moments a bit. The fact that there's no villain, no challenge, no antagonist of any sort means that there are only a couple moments that there's the least bit of tension at all and there's no plot pushing the story forward aside from the love the two have for one another and their growing family (both blood-related and close friends/bandmates/their women/etc). The writing is smooth but typically lacks descriptiveness, there's even a point where the book says something along the lines of "he told a joke and everyone laughed".

The biggest, most unavoidable negative, however, was Marguerite herself. She can be sweet and funny and she's a wonderful person, but she's also dreadfully sensitive and offensively dramatic. More than once she falls asleep or passes out when nothing is actually wrong, leaving at least one loved one to worry until she comes around and explains that. She can be very strong and wise, don't get me wrong - emotional sensitivity can be a very good thing, but it's a bit overdone here to my taste. Also, while it isn't unheard of for there to be only one or two main characters in a book, it seems like the other characters have no life outside of Marguerite and Chase - they're almost always around like a good family is, but they never really have their own agendas or their own stories about their day.

In the end, I really just wish there would've been something working consistently against the main characters. The author succeeds in her goal - to make a story that really highlights the love that Marguerite and Chase share - but it didn't feel like much of a payoff as there wasn't anything that made being together and staying together a real challenge. The book is also very well edited - I only noticed 3 minor errors across almost 300 pages! I feel like people who would be interested in a band romance novel of this sort will almost definitely enjoy their time with it, and while I did at times, it was just too lacking in plot and personality for me to make it a genuine suggestion, and I have to rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I believe Marguerite (the author) has some great potential, but this one just wasn't for me.

The Band 4 The Air We Breathe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. It seems like the author focused much on the plot and less on characterization. Great review.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. It seems like the author focused much on the plot and less on characterization. Great review.
That's absolutely EXACTLY how I felt, and thanks for the kind words! I definitely think there's some good potential here though for Marguerite.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review, it's very well-written! :) I really liked the cover art of this book and I typically enjoy this genre but after reading the sample I have to say I was disappointed.
The "feelings" Marguerite got just seemed unrealistic and the fact that she feels "free" after her parents died in a car accident made it hard for me to like her but according to your review it seems like she's actually a good person. :P Nonetheless, I don't think this book is for me.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad it was edited well. Wish the author had focused a little more on the secondary characters. Thank you for the detailed review.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

After reading this review I am not sure I can handle the lack of character development you describe. Thanks for the honest review, you did a great job with the details.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I really don't read romance novels, so I'm thinking this one may not be for me. That being said, thank you for your informative and objective review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Thanks for your candid review. Even though I'm not much a a romance-reader, there are aspects this plot I'm intrigued by. Your review was helpful in having an idea of what to expect in terms of pace, timing, and characterization. I appreciate your thoroughness.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for your honest review. I am quite surprised that this would be chosen as BOTD with a 2 out of 4 review...and not a free book. I would definitely think twice before I even considered reading it.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I read the sample at Amazon and even read all of the reviews, they all seemed to say the same thing, this is a feel good about love and romance kind of book. After reading this review though, thank you for being honest, I don't think that this is a book that I need to spend time on. Just me but as a reviewer and blogger of books, I want to read a book that is a bit more exciting. Great review though!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I really enjoyed your honest review. I like a story with tension and strongly developed characters. I don't think this book is for me.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

What an honest review. This book sounds like its good but would be better with stronger characters. Congrats to the author for being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Again I do always enjoy reading your reviews. Honest, well written, and insightful.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your honest review, CataclysmicKnight. It's tough sometimes to give this type of feedback since we all know that authors put a lot into the story. However, I'm not sure if this is a read for me even if you didn't give it a 2. I read the sample and I already feel the characters are not to my liking. Especially with Marguerite feeling free from her parents because they died, just like Sarah_Khan said. That makes me feel less apt to like her as a character. Anyway...great job on the review, and I am glad that there are those (on Amazon) that seems to have enjoyed the book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

The story of Love? Let me read this one and find out. :) Congrats on the perfect score and being the BOTD.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”