"We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
megustaleer
Bookshelf Size: 0

"We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

Post by megustaleer »

This is the first book discussion group I have found, on or off line, that does not seem to have a discussion about this book. I am amazed.
Synopsis from Amazon:
Two years ago, Eva Khatchadourian's son, Kevin, murdered seven of his fellow high-school students, a cafeteria worker, and a popular algebra teacher. Because he was only fifteen at the time of the killings, he received a lenient sentence and is now in a prison for young offenders in upstate New York. Telling the story of Kevin's upbringing, Eva addresses herself to her estranged husband through a series of letters. Fearing that her own shortcomings may have shaped what her son has become, she confesses to a deep, long-standing ambivalence about both motherhood in general and Kevin in particular. How much is her fault? Lionel Shriver tells a compelling, absorbing, and resonant story while framing these horrifying tableaux of teenage carnage as metaphors for the larger tragedy - the tragedy of a country where everything works, nobody starves, and anything can be bought but a sense of purpose.
A thickish book, 400 pages, and smaller print than is currently used for many popular paperbacks, which made it a little awkward for reading in bed. This probably contributed to the slow start I made on this book...That and the self-obsessed soul-searching that Eva indulges in when tryingto decide whether or not to start a family.

Once Kevin arrived, however, and we start to see the differences emerging between Eva and husband Franklin as they try to relate to their son, the story began to hold my attention more and more.
Eventually, I was reading late into the night, which I have not done for quite some time, and read the last couple of chapters in a moving car (which is risky, as it makes me travel sick!).

Although we know before we start what Kevin has done to be imprisoned, it is the gradual erosion of trust between the parents, and the disintigration of the family that is compelling. Those last few chapters really took me by surprise, and I felt quite moved by the ending.
Thoroughly recommended.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

This one is on my To Be Read pile. I saw her last year at the Brisbane Writer's Festival, she's a STRANGE lady is Lionel Shriver!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I just could not get into this book. I think maybe it was her writing style. To me it just seemed all over the place. Erin
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

megustaleer, I too had difficulty with this book initially. I don't think it's got to do with the print style, it's more to do with the language. Shriver uses such complicated words and sentences that I took a long time to get used to.

I second your recommendation. I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading this book, but I kept thinking about it long after I finished it. The best part I liked is that the author doesn't answer the questions, she leaves them hanging around for the readers to figure it out.

I have written sort of a review of this book. I can't put a link to it here since I don't have 3 posts to my credit.
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

I really enjoyed this one. I agree that the start was slow, but it did gather pace quite effectively towards the end.

I never could put my finger on how much was hindsight for Eva though, and how much she really did see as he was growing.

I'm not sure if I just missed all the clues, but I really didn't see the surprise at the end coming at all. I think I was too much into the random details that were all the way through to wonder why Eva was being held solely responsible and not jointly with his father.
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

saracen77 wrote:I'm not sure if I just missed all the clues, but I really didn't see the surprise at the end coming at all. I think I was too much into the random details that were all the way through to wonder why Eva was being held solely responsible and not jointly with his father.
Yep, I agree. I always thought that Eva's husband (I can't recall his name now) was not able to put up with her anymore and they had separated.

The book also drops hints that Eva's version of the incidents may not be 100% accurate. I really liked this aspect of the book where the story unfolds through one character's eyes and yet the reader knows that it may not be true.

Now that I am 3 posts old, here is the review.
megustaleer

Post by megustaleer »

A member of another forum suggested that Eva's behaviour when Kevin was a baby, and their fractured relationship, may have been the result of severe post-natal depression, maybe even puerpal psychosis

This idea hadn't occurred to me previously, although I had discussed the book with many other readers over a number of months. Once it was mentioned, it seemed a very credible explanation for a very strange situation, although I have not gone back and re-read it in the light of that suggestion.

Do others think that is a theory worth considering?
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

Oh yes, megustaleer, now that you mention it, it does make sense.

I have heard of some women going through post-natal depressions, but I never associated that with Eva. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Eva was not ready to have a kid. She decides on an impulse and if I am not wrong, she even writes pages after pages about her stress during her pregnancy. The reader gets a feeling the kid is not all that welcome. In case of her daughter, Eva was all ready for the kid and hence no post-natal depression and a good relationship with the kid. Hmmm... makes sense.
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

Yes, I can see how you could put put post natal depression onto Eva here, especially if it were not recognised and left untreated. That would colour the whole relationship with the baby, and perhaps make it more believable that Kevin's behaviour changed so completely when Franklin walked through the door in the evenings.

But then, saying that, the Irish nanny they hired also had problems with Kevin, phoning in sick and then quiting because of his behaviour. On the other hand, we are then back to Eva as an unreliable witness as we only see the nanny through her eyes, and if Eva were depressed, then anything the nanny said could have been turned around to support Eva's point of view.

I think seeing Eva in this way could explain some of her problems with Kevin early on, and then things just got magnified as he became more aware of himself.
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

I didn't like this book or the language until it actually gets to the scene towards the end. You know which 'scene' im talking about. But it was strangely beautiful in its finality. From then on i loved it. Sorry to be so abstract but I dont want to spoil it for the people who haven't read it![/b]
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

Can I just say that I definitely thought Eva had post-natal depression, and there is a theory that the child learns from the 'vibes' that the mother sends out. If you remember Eva during her delivery - she wasn't focused on the baby being healthy - she was focused on her own power and not breaking down in front of her husband. Surely there is a possibility that Kevin, even in his first few seconds in the world, sensed that lack of love and attention, that he in turn rejected her (turning away from the breast) and anyone else that tried to express love to him? It would have been a case of nature and nurture I think, in that his personality from the time he was born obviously craved that love, and nurture in that Eva didn't give it to him quickly or realistically enough.

Apparently for disorders like Narcissistic Personality Disorder it stems from the first few years of life not making that connection with the 'maternal being', or someone else who radiates that maternal sense towards the baby.

Anyway that's just what I think :)
[/b]
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

blushingmilk wrote:Can I just say that I definitely thought Eva had post-natal depression, and there is a theory that the child learns from the 'vibes' that the mother sends out. If you remember Eva during her delivery - she wasn't focused on the baby being healthy - she was focused on her own power and not breaking down in front of her husband. Surely there is a possibility that Kevin, even in his first few seconds in the world, sensed that lack of love and attention, that he in turn rejected her (turning away from the breast) and anyone else that tried to express love to him? It would have been a case of nature and nurture I think, in that his personality from the time he was born obviously craved that love, and nurture in that Eva didn't give it to him quickly or realistically enough.

Apparently for disorders like Narcissistic Personality Disorder it stems from the first few years of life not making that connection with the 'maternal being', or someone else who radiates that maternal sense towards the baby.

Anyway that's just what I think :)
[/b]
I think you're right. Babies do understand feelings and respond to them, so Kevin obviously did crave love.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

This was a heavy and unforgettable read. This is one of those books that stayed with me for weeks. I had to read a couple of really light (and humorous) books after reading this. I remember being torn about Eva - there were times that I pity her, but there were also times that I hate her for being too weak (in my opinion).

I agree that Shriver's writing style takes a bit of time to get used to - but it was definitely worth it.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”